Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Updating post for X4

Mick

I've just updated a post to X4. However, when I select it, it says the post is for a previous version, and should be run through Updatepost :/

I did note that the following error was in the log:

29 - 21 Jul 2009 11:41:27 PM - PARAMETER DATA - - This 'parameter read' postblock was found in the post: pparameter$, This 'parameter read' postblock was found in the post: pwrttparam$, Parameters are changed in Mastercam X. Reference the post update guide or contact your reseller.

30 - 21 Jul 2009 11:41:27 PM - PARAMETER DATA - - Possibly incorrect parameter number detected: 17044. Please check the parameter number.

Now, at what point do I update the parameter?

I must admit, more and more, I really dislike the way the update process works for posts, and machine defs frown.gif

Mike,

That is simply a prompt for you to "check" that parameter to make sure it has been updated.

If you've check it AND it is valid, then when setting your control def to only show Fatal errors, it will no longer show that prompt.

HTH

Mick, the error log is telling you that your post is using parameter number 17044, but that number has been changed. In this case, that particular parameter was taken out in X3 and is no longer output. If your post is relying on that number, then it's not going to work correctly.

All the changed parameters are documented in the NCI & Parameter Reference, you should look up that value and remove/replace it in your post.

You should read the What's New doc, it talks about the new parameter validation routines in UpdatePost.

HTH,

Robert

So after running Updatepost, I should update the parameter(s) in question?

What is weird, is that after running Updatepost, and then trying to run the updated post, X4 tells me the post is for a previous version, and needs to be run through Updatepost...

I struck this with X3, and I cant remeber what I had to do, to make it work. It is very frustrating.

We have 14 post processors here, that will require updating, and I'm not looking forward to it frown.gif

"So after running Updatepost, I should update the parameter(s) in question?"

yup. UpdatePost can tell you if a parameter number is no longer valid, but it won't try and guess what you're trying to do with it. 17044 was the minimum axis limit for degrees/minute -- maybe you want to replace that with 17060? But you need to decide that, not UpdatePost. The NCI/Parameter Ref has pictures of all the machine def dialogs with the parameter numbers noted for each field, just look at the picture and see where that value is coming from and it will tell you what parameter number to use.

The only actual numbers it checks are the ones in the fprm table though -- the other message you received is telling you to look at any numbers you might be referencing in pparamater or pwrttparm and look those up. Any machine def parameters or stock parameters in particular you want to validate manually because there was a lot of change in X3 with machine def.

"What is weird, is that after running Updatepost, and then trying to run the updated post, X4 tells me the post is for a previous version, and needs to be run through Updatepost..."

Offhand it sounds like your machine/control def isn't pointing to your updated post? Open a part that you think should be using your updated post, go to Toolpath Manager, and go to Machine Group > Properties > Files. It lists the complete path of the post, make sure this is pointing to your updated post.

Also, if there is a pst file in the same folder as your part, Mastercam automatically uses that. Make sure there isn't an old pst file in there with the same name.

We gave the resellers a troubleshooting guide for updating posts, you might ask your reseller for a copy, or send me an email.

"We have 14 post processors here, that will require updating, and I'm not looking forward to it "

Get the first one right, the others will go pretty quickly, I'm sure.

--Robert