Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Length/Diameter Offsets

LSmythe

I need some help with these settings. I am definitely a novice but have been using X2/X3 for basic programming to an Onsrud machine. I was told I should be using the length and diameter offset settings in the toolpath parameters but I don't understand their function and Mastercam help doesn't explain how/why/what to fill these numbers in as.

Any help is duly appreciated.

There are no hard and fast rules governing what offset numbering scheme you use. Most of the time the length offset will match the tool#. For instance T1, H1. On some older machines a designated value will be added for radius compensation such as 20 or 50. So a tools offset assignment might be T1, H1, D51. Newer machines can use the same value for both length and diameter wear (Cutter Comp). T1, H1, D1 and cuteer comp only being active when programmed with wear (G41 or G42). But you could use any value available in your machine like H64 D42. Its easier to deal with when there is an association between tool and offset numbering. I hope that helps. cheers.gif

Cad-Camr,

Thanks for responding to my question. I am still confused on the function of these offsets. If you don't mind dumbing it down a bit for me, can you explain what the offsets are actually doing? Is it just a random numbering system to identify different tools or are the offset values actually changing how the machine compensates for resharpened tools? What we do currently with resharpened bits is to type in the actual diameter, i.e. 0.487" for a resharpened 1/2" bit in the tool properties before posting it to the machine and we will measure the length of the tool in the holder and enter that value on the machine hand pad. We don't seem to have any issues with our finished parts. But again maybe I am missing something.

Thoughts?

The idea behind tool radius or tool diameter compensation is that you generate the toolpath for the theoretical tool diameter and then ask the the machine tool to adjust the cutting path to compensate for any difference between the theoretical tool diameter and the actual tool diameter. This way, you program the job for a 1/2 tool and every time the job is setup, you can use the same program. This would eliminate the need to re-post every time you have your cutter ground, you would simply change the diameter comp value in the machine and keep on truckin