Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

which "in-house" books to choose

riverracer

long time reader, 1st time poster, so here goes...

i'm looking for advice on which books would suit us better.

we have x3/x4 mill 3/solids at work since the begining of the year, and a basic knowledge of how to use it. haha

only 3 axis stuff is needed.

what is the difference between the these books..

Mastercam Beginner Training Tutorial or Mastercam Mill Level 1 Professional Courseware in either x3 or x4? (would also get the 2nd book of each aswell) or do they overlap each other in what they teach?

do they come in a metric version for us overseas people?

would also be interested in the solids and design books.

thanks all

this doesn't directly answer your question, but a few years ago i purchased the X2 Handbook 3 on Multiaxis Machining written by Charles Davis from InHouse. i found it to be a clear and helpful overview of how things work. i imagine any updated version for X3 on basics of 3 axis (Handbook 1, i believe) would be equally helpful.

Guest Tyler Yanta

Hey riverracer,

I would recommend the X4 books over X3 as we always try to improve on previous releases.

To answer your questions,

- The Beginner Training Tutorial is a compilation book that takes the first 5 tutorials from the Mill Level 1 Training Tutorial, 3 from Lathe and 2 from Solids. It provides a good overview for someone just starting with those applications.

- The Professional Courseware books are tailored to teaching situations or experienced users. They do not have the same step-by-step approach that the Training Tutorials take but rather take more of a guided approach where you start off by doing a number of exercises and then practice them by drawing/toolpathing a part with the techniques you just learned. It also operates somewhat under the assumption that you have an instructor or someone knowledgeable to call on should you get stuck.

As for Metric - yes! You're getting this information before anyone else smile.gif Here's the scoop: We now have the Mastercam X4 Mill Level 1 Training Tutorial in a Metric version. Mill Level 3, and others will follow in the coming weeks/months. Keep an eye on www.blog.inhousesolutions.com for info on when they are released!

If you would like any further detailed information, feel free to email me: tyler.yanta @ inhousesolutions.com

@k turk,

The Handbooks provide more of a theoretical approach to teaching Mastercam which many people enjoy. A correction though: Handbook Volume 1 covers 2 axis content, Volume 2 covers 3 axis and you were correct with the Volume 3 covering Multiaxis.

Books? With the rapid releases of new versions of Mastercam, books are outdated almost guaranteed within a year. I can't count how many programmers offices I've seen with stacks of books from every release. All outdated.

If your not using and learning current versions of software, your at a disadvantage with your competitors who are.

Quality on-line training is there immediately when software updates are released, available anytime, and most important current.

www.streamingteacher.com

Guest Tyler Yanta

Both methods of training have their merits. Online content doesn't get lost like books can but does require a decent, stable internet connection.

Also - you can buy a lot of books with that $720 12 month subscription smile.gif

To each their own though; some people like having tangible materials in-hand and others are perfectly fine with the pay-to-use models - - not only in this industry.

It ultimately comes down to user preference. Both products and their respective methods of distribution have their place.