Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X4 Smoothing problems?

Newbieguy

Is anyone else having problems with gouging when turning on the "smoothing" option on the surface toolpaths in X4? We've tried 2 different jobs and had gouging on both when smoothing was selected. Of course, none of the gouges showed up in verify, or anywhere else. We ended up re-machining them in X3 with no problems. Just for ***** and giggles, we are now going to run the same X4 programs in a block of wood with smoothing turned off, to see if the problem goes away. We were just curious if anyone else had run into this?? (X4 Solids, Intel Quad Core, Vista Ultimate, 8GB RAM, DNC'ing to Fadal CNCs (2004 vintage))

The smoothing works awesome on this end. Although, I have had gouges when turning on xy arcs, but they were seen when verified. I sent the files to cnc and they said it will be fixed in the next maintenance release. I use smoothing on ALL my surfacing toolpaths, but I always make sure to turn off xy, xz, and yz arcs. (I question that it will actually be fixed. I've seen gouges using the arc filter with this version and every other version of MCAM going back to vs. 9)

I have a smoothing update:

We ran the same toolpaths with smoothing turned off, and the part turned out perfect.

We then ran the same toolpaths with the smoothing turned on, but turned off the XY, XZ, and YZ arcs per Peon's instructions, and the part turned out perfect.

So note to all users: If using smoothing, make sure you turn off the arcs!!!

Thanks Peon - it's nice that we get to scrap parts being the Beta testers for Mastercam!