Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Treying to create 2D profile for lathe and get axis adjusted

honeybunches

X2-MR2

I don't use MC for lathe stuff much. WE have a part I am just trying to use as a test part to get all the bugs worked out. I am bring in an stp solid. The part is an impeller and I just need to cut the blank for it.

I tried using "create 2d profile from solid" and it gives me a good line along the radius. The problem is it seems to come in on the wrong side of the part and all my tool paths are failing. I tried the silhouette function in C hooks and it just give the bottom ring around the part but no profile. What am I missing?

Also, I am have a heck of a time getting the part to come in right with the axis. X and Z are flipped. I tried to adjust by creating new views and rotating but I am getting all kinds of errors when trying to create a path. DO I need to correct the axis error in CAD before importing or can this all be corrected in MC?

Viper have you tried xform rotate to put the part right. Example if the part comes in from solidworks the SW top is MC front so I set the plane to Right and rotate from the right side plane to set right if I need to rotate the part.

now you need a a good profile of the part but the fins probably don't give you a good dia profile of the part. X4 now has the option to spin the outside of the part to give you more of what you need.

Can you share the file to show you what I am talking about?

Viper I just sent you back your file as a MC X2 file.

I opened the file in X4.

Went to planes at the bottom set it for front.

from there I did a Xform rotate -90. deg this set the part correct for a standard lathe config.

Now using the new Profile spin option to get the lath profile and told it to give me just the upper half to give you the profile you need to lathe before going to mill for easy finish sir.

Hope this helps.

Jay, thanks so much. I am running into a strange issue. I was able to reproduce your example for rotation once but now every time it rotates, it will create a duplicate and they are all merged together, normal to each other.

Also, I am using that "solid to 2D profile", will that generate a decent profile compared to the newer versions?