Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Grooving on Ver. 9

PrototypeFred

Hi: I am using MC. ver 9.

I need to machine parallel groove on the OD of a pulley. I never used the Lathe program side of MC.

But all I want to do is come in with the tool and peck and dwell, then step over and do the same.

I tried using the groove op but in back plot it pulls the tool out at an angle which I don't need.

And I don't want to machine to the sides either.

I just want to peck dwell retract several times to the bottom of the groove then step over to do the other groove. I have a total of 5 grooves all identical.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong ?

Thanks

If your tool is the same width as your groove, make sure "Finish Groove" is unchecked in the Finish tab of the grooving operation; this should eliminate the backoff angles and other crazy sh!t. Don't know why you'd dwell every peck, so I am not sure if MC will do that, but you should have both Peck and Dwell options available to you in the Groove toolpath.

C

Open the toolpath parameters dialog.

Open the Groove Rough Parameters.

Set "Back Off %" to 0 (zero)

Put a checkmark next to "Peck Groove" and open it.

Uncheck "Peck on first plunge only"

Set the peck depth.

Under "Dwell" push the button "Last peck only"

Set dwell time to 1 or 2 Revs.

Open Groove Finish Parameters tab.

Uncheck "Finish groove"

Ok, it's a v-groove with a flat bottom, right?

So draw the first groove with the flat. Draw a vertical line from the right side of the flat up even with the top of the groove.

Now open toolpath-grooving and select the 2 points option. Hit Ok. Now pick the top of the line you just drew as the first point and then pick the left end of the flat as the second point. Hit ESC.

Now pick any groove tool which has the correct orientation and right click to edit it. Change the "D" dimension (width) to be .001 less than the width of the flat in the groove. Click Ok.

Set the rest of the parameters like I wrote in my other message.

I'm assuming the tool your using is the same shape as the groove. The program will be using the left end of the flat on the end of the tool as gage point so you need to adjust the offset if it is set to the full width of the V on the tool.

To do the rest of the grooves do a Transform toolpath. Set the X spacing and the number of X steps. Its really Z spacing on the lathe but thats how its drawn in MC.