Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T: File management?

sir Camalot

Bullines, thanks for the info.

As I was thinking about file management, I thought about the feature in Outlook for finding a specific contact or client based on keywords that you define. We recently had a customer that wanted to duplicate a part from two years ago(needless to say I didn't include enough info w/ the part geometry & had to search through quite a few files frown.gif )So I was looking for something that had a file description, maybe a picture, a place for relevent notes; like for setup,material requirements, tooling, etc. & away to search using specific customer name, machining strategies or perhaps a user defined criteria. I know--- wishful thinking! I know that you can do all of this individually (getting lazy, ya know wink.gif )Just thought there might be a quicker, easier way to get this done.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Well Sir Camaolt, I think you're onto something with MS Outlook. Create a task and attach your MC8/MC9, NC, etc... files to it. You can write to your heart's desire in the task as well. You can also keep track of hours in it, etc... I use MS Outlook to keep track of my hours for most projects. That way when I get a similar part, I can estimate pretty close how long it will take me to complete.

JM2C

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Camalot,

Another thing that Outlook can do for you, if you were to be a manager or supervisor. You as the manager/supervisor can assign tasks, set due dates, insert pictures, files, whatever may be pertinent to completing the job. Almost everybody has Outlook too so there no added cost which is a plus these days.

James

quote:

Another thing that Outlook can do for you, if you were to be a manager or supervisor. You as the manager/supervisor can assign tasks, set due dates, insert pictures, files, whatever may be pertinent to completing the job.

Of course, if this information was to be shared, a Microsoft Exchange Server is required wink.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Your local Mastercam Reseller can get you the Project Manager info.

quote:

Thanks for all the help!

It's always nice to be appreciated, and you're welcome. Tell us what you end up doing and how well it works for you.

I am from CAMAIX and I am using Outlook to do support for my Mastercam customers. I have currently 5 GByte of data collected in Outlook. After 2 GBytes file size, the Outlook pst file gets instable and I have to split the data in smaller packets. So 2 years ago, we have implemented a direct link from Outlook to the Project Manager for Mastercam. Whenever I get an support email with attachment, I can click on a Project Manager icon in Outlook and the email with attached files are transfered to my harddisk and a new project is created under Project Manager. This helped me archiving over 1000 different projects under different customer names.

This feature is not documented, if you are interested, I can provide info how to do that under [email protected]