Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas trunnion repeatable question.

Joeyls319

Hello all

I have been asked to check on the reliability and repeatability of our Haas 5th axis trunnion machine. I have called Haas but I thought I would ask here to get an idea of what others are experiencing.

I'm having an issue with concentricity between two bores on a part +/- .001. I'm rotating the part to machine the bores and can't seem to hold the tolerance. I'm pretty sure it's the machine.

I was asked to make sure the machine is capable (which I think it is) but the machine hasn't been calibrated in at least 5 years.

I think it's out of calibration. I was wondering what others (you all) think of the situation.

Any comments would be appriciated.

Thanks ahead of time.

Joey

Joey,

If you have the backlash set and everything tight - a Haas Trunnion should hold +/- 0.0005 location and accuracy. A customer of mine bores Mainlines and Camlines for engine blocks on a TRT160 mounted on a VF3. These are racing engines and he doesn't have to hone them. Holding +/-0.001 should be very doable as long as the rotational swing is not way out there.

HTH

Josh

Have you changed the oil if you car in the last 5 years? All shops that do AS9100 or ISO work are required to keep their machine in calibration and certify that. Sorry this is a sore subject to me as so many are out of work and we see the decline in Manufacturing in America and we wonder why. Address this issue and I think that will help you solve your problem. If you want a good check take a 2-4-6 block clamp it to the 5th axis and set up some indicators and go through the travels and see if they repeat. Log the results over 100 moves and see the results that should be a good idea what is going on. Also put an indicator under the part once it is location and see if the 5th axis is getting lazy and not supporting the part through the operations. There are a lot of things you can do. I put a tooling ball in a lot of my 5th axis indexes. 1st the are a sanity check the machine is going where it should the other is a double check that nothing is going wrong with the machine.

HTH

I feel that once the machine is ball barred, our problem will go away but I need to do all my homework and cover all the bases.

I agree but there is a big pissing contest on who "owns" the calibration process and responsibility is treated like the plague. Not a day goes by around here that we don't shoot ourselves in the foot.

thanks for your input.

Joey