Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Win7 Pro 64bit and Kaspersky 2010 = mastercam slow to open

Hey guys, in an earlier post I gave a tip about windows live essentials jacking up mastercam in Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I tried it a second time and it jacked it up again bonk.gif , so obvioulsy I won't be loading live essentials again.

Here is another tip. After re-formating and installing windows 7 again everything is great, mastercam is fine. Next I installed Kaspersky 2010 and although mastercam works, it is very slow to open after the X4 splash screen. I also notice the windows experience index rating would fail at the very end. Here is a link to how I fixed this set of problems. smile.gifKaspersky Fix

After completing this fix all screens are opening faster, including mastercam. biggrin.gif

Your computer may not be failing the windows experience rating, but many others have. It has been reported many times on windows seven forum and Kaspersky.

Thanks for the info, Scott.

I recently picked up a copy of Kaspersky 2010, but after installing it on my older XP machine, it seemed to slow everything down, not just Mastercam. I uninstalled Kaspersky and everything went back to normal.

I then installed the Kaspersky 2010 on my wife's Vista laptop instead, and it seems to be working fine. (No CAD program running on that laptop, just web browsing and Office 2007.)

Do you know if this fix is only for Windows 7, or will it work with XP too?

headscratch.gif

Got it...thanks.

Yes, mine is Kaspersky AV.

For some reason, my older HP desktop running XP Home Edition just bogged down to a crawl as soon as I installed Kaspersky AV. When I uninstalled it, all was back to normal.

headscratch.gif

Oh well, it works correctly on my wife's laptop so at least we'll get some use out of it. wink.gif

Yesterday we loaded up Win7-Pro-64bit onto another computer with an SSD drive. Mastercam opened faster than a speeding bullet. Then we loaded Kaspersky 2010 Anti-Virus only. Opening Mastercam then slowed to a crawl. It slows down even if you set mastercam in Kaspersky exclusions. We then unistalled Kaspersky, and Mastercam opened very quickly again.

Norbert did some research on Kaspersky and apparently they know they have a problem with their product slowing down some applications, and are working on another fix. Will post it when we find it.

I've been running Norton Internet Security

on my Win7 x64 machine for about 4 months

now.

I quit using Norton 4 or 5 years ago

because it was a monster resourse hog,

but they've got it fixed in thier 2010

release.

Its fast, has a light footprint and is

nearly invible. You hardly know its there.

I recently had a problem with it blocking

a registry update file while installing

the X4 Verisurf add-on.

Didn't seen to hurt the install though.

I havn't suceeding in getting it to exclude that file

so I guess I'll just shut it off during

furture Mastercam/Verisurf installs.

Update on Kaspersky. A few days ago they came out with "patch a" that fixed the Windows Experience Index rating from failing. However it still causes Mastercam to open and close painfully slow. frown.gif

Today I gave up on Kaspersky 2010 and uninstalled it from both of my computers. I loaded up Microsoft Security Essentials for the time being. Mastercam now opens and closes normally. smile.gif