Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Calling Dr Watson.....

Müřlıń®

just for the fun of it I installed the Windows debugger. It's not really that complicated to use and it works in windows mode instead of the DOS mode.

You can download the 32 bit version ----> here.

You can link to Microsoft's symbol server and they will always keep the symbols updated. Or you can download the symbols so that you don't have to have an internet connect to debug dumps.

Just have to go get the new symbols everytime you allow Microsoft to install updates.

You can also download the symbol package for your OS----> here.

Make sure you set up Dr Watson to dump the symbols, and use full dump, not mini dump... the mini dump is set up by default.

The mini dump won't tell you much.

I think most of the problems people are having with X4 is in the registry.

Extreme large files could be something else since they changed memory handling in X4.

I have yet to make X4 crash on my system but if it does I will be ready for it...

I will keep you informed of what my computer Guru finds out in the event of a crash.

I know just enough about computers to mess up everything... so don't ask me tech questions biggrin.gif

Murlin-

"I think most of the problems people are having with X4 is in the registry"

I would agree with this 100 %. Currently running Mastercam on 2 different computers. My laptop had a harddrive go bad. After installing the new one most of my crashes have gone away. For my desk top........just had the operation go dirty 3 TIMES in a row...-2HRS..The file is only 70 Meg...

Jamey

X4

quote:

Dammit Jim!

I'm not a geek, I'm just a country doctor

I can't really debug all that good either dude that's not the point.

I know 3 people that can wink.gif

Thing is...If you don't set up DR Watson and save your dump file, no one can tell you what is causing the problem. You can guess all you want and then run Dr Watson and find out that Windows Auto Update is causing you to crash. Sometimes it's something stupid like that..

They even sell 3rd party software that will analyze your dump file for you. If all the symbols are there in your dump and you have Windows debugger installed.... the program can tell you where the problem is and you don't need to know anything at all...

quote:

The registry is microsofts biggest mistake

Ya it sure made life difficult.

That is why I set up X4 on a brand new OS so I wouldn't have any duplicate registry keys getting tangled up.

Haven't done much with it yet...still using X3 MU1 for mostly everything...

But so far, X4 seems really stable...

Note to self.... biggrin.gif

A. USER.DMP is created by Dr. Watson when a program crashes, and is there to help you fix the problem. It can be examined using supportdebugi386dumpexam.exe or using windbg -z user.dmp.

Edit...

Microsoft says that dumpexam utility does not require symbols to run... headscratch.gif

you must get the utility from the XP CD..

[ 11-17-2009, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Murlin ]