Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Raster to Vector

Kevin Goddard

I just downloaded the 30 day trial version of the raster to vector chook. The help file is complete except for the "how to use the program" section. I am trying to bring in a .bmp and when I get to the second screen, where you pick centerline or outline, I get no preview. I have tried scrolling around with the slides but nothing. It pretty much ends there, nothing comes into Mastercam. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

The RAST2VEC C-Hook for Mastercam reads all bitmap formats (bmp, gif, tif etc.) and converts them to smooth lines and arcs within Mastercam.

the package is an automatic detection of sharp corners and a smart smoothing method. This can both create centerlines AND outlines from a bitmap image. If the bitmap is not black and white, RAST2VEC will automatically convert colors into black and white images.

Also With the Raster Vector Converter pixel pictures become vectorized, which were digitized with a commercial scanner or loaded into PCX, TIF, GIF, BMP, JPG format. But there are limits that are set to operating with the scanner. The templates should be clean and black/white, i.e. all edge outlines should be clearly recognizable. Xeroxed copies worsen the quality (Photocopying machines let the edge outlines blur). Good results can be achieved with templates with approximately 3 to 5-fold enlargment. tongue.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

You'll need to adjust the threshold on the linear Black/White Conversion. Also, one note, BMP's are pixels. You'll not get straight lines except in X and Y, any angled lines will look jagged so adjust the threshold to get the smoothest looking picture, then try the smoothing begfore you create geometry. You'll almost always have to do some clean up depending on the quality of the image.

Good Luck.