Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surface Rough parallel

Torr Man

I would also use surface > finish > parallel.

You can use the 'stock to leave' feature to take off most of the 5mm with one or two passes, then take a finish pass of maybe .5 mm or whatever amount you like. wink.gif

The surface > rough > parallel is better suited for machining from a solid block rather than a casting. If you use it on a casting that is close to nominal, the resulting program will cut quite a bit of air above the part. eek.gif

quote:

But how do I control the amount that I take off in each pass ie: 5mm of stock to come off in two passes of 2.5mm for each pass.

If you want to take it all in 2 passes, you will use 2 toolpaths. The only difference will be the 'Stock to leave on drive' box on the Surface Parameters page. For the first pass, enter 2.5 stock to leave. Copy and paste the operation, then change the stock to leave to 0 for the second operation. Post both operations together into one nc file and there you have it. The first pass will cut at +2.5, and the second pass will cut at zero. wink.gif

I would ALMOST ALWAYS take a finish pass, depending on what kind of surface finish you are looking for. As Quickmike said, you can take the initial passes with a larger stepover value, then tighten it up for the last pass to get the best surface finish.

If that is the case, simply use 3 operations instead of 2. The first pass stock to leave could be 2.5mm, the second pass at .5mm stock to leave, and the third at 0 stock to leave with a smaller stepover. Again, post all 3 operations together and you will have a program that cuts the first pass at +2.5, the second pass at +.5, and the third pass at zero with a smaller stepover for a better finish. That is how I would most likely do it. biggrin.gif