Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT PC D-MIS

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to orient and .iges model using PC-DMIS so it can be inspected on a CMM. Currently I am having to orient the models with mastercam before they are imported into PC-DMIS and with the amount of parts we run this is very time consuming. If not possible with PC-DMIS is there an inexspensive third party software that could accomplish this.

Thanks

Justin,

From the menu bar select

Operation

Graphics display window

Transform

Translate

Click on where you want to move the move the part from and to

(just like translate from point to point in MC)

We use PC Dmis for all of out 5 axis inspection while on our cnc. Im pretty sure it’s the same

If used on a cmm.

Damian

dforsythe,

The problem with "translate from and to" is that in PC D-MIS we can't snap on points. These are .iges files that are imported in as surfaces so there is no geometry to snap onto. Is there a way to bring in egde curves with the surfaces and or enable auto cursor to snap onto points.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Strange to see a Pcdmis question on the M/Cam forum! Don't know which version you are using, but in V3.7 it's Edit...Preferences... Setup...Part/Machine...Part Setup. Use Offsets to move, Adjust to rotate. BTW, I wouldn't cancel my M/Cam subscription just yet. Feeding CAD to Pcdmis is how I got into M/Cam, creating CAD from prints, verifying nominals, extending surfaces to verify fixtures, & a bunch of other things Pcdmis won't do. If nothing else, it's worth the price just to verify whether a CAD problem is the fault of Pcdmis, or the system that created it.

(Yahoo, a question I could answer!) firebounce.gif

Goby-Wan,

Thanks for the info I'll pass it on to our inspectors although I think they have it working correctly now. I'm not looking to cancel my mastercam subscription. Orienting models in mastercam for our inspection department can be very time consuming so as a company we are trying to have them become independant and be able to do this on there own. Also it is not very safe to have the same person program the part and give the model to inspection. For example I bring the part into mastercam and accidentlly mirror it instead of rotate it. Then I program it and give the mirrored model to inspection. They check it and everything appears to be good but in reality the part is opposite hand. Unlikely scenario yes but if two people are both getting the models independantly odds are something like this will never happen.