Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT for James Meyette

Jim Whipple

I understand you do some work in the drag racing world. I am wondering if your customer gets shape data from an existing head or if they are modeling port geo and doing gas flow query in the computer. I do a bit of sportsman bike drags and am thinking of doing gas flow in the computer before cutting my limited supply of heads or casting ports

Jim

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Good Afternoon Jim,

The guy I know that does this actually puts the head up on their CNC machine then probes the port. This creates point data which is then converted to splines then converted to surfaces. I have not spoken with him recently so they may have something better now.

When they do a new shape(I believe this is still a somewhat manual process, they will flow the port, make modifications and flow until they get what they want. Then they will probe and do the process above.

Yosimura is using MC to cut heads for their race bikes. I'm not exactly sure how they are doing it but my guess it that they are doing it exactly the same way.

It is a somewhat tedious process. It may take a week or so to create the port depending on your skill level. Programming it could be straight forward (if you want to call programming heads that wink.gif ) depending on the toolpath pattern you desire on the chamber. Flow 5 Ax using the spiral type will give a great surface finish in the port itself.

Hope that helps.

Thanks James

I was just curious...I have a friend that writes databases and we were talking about being able to do cross sectional inquaries on a model. I do a lot of flow work in my shop with a home made flow bench and can gain data and so was wondering if anyone had written a database that would work with say Solidworks

Interesting thought at any rate

Jim

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Porting is a funny business. Not many people want to share much information so I would imagine that a database has not been created. But I could be wrong.