Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 Axis surface finish

Mcam Nut

I have a job to do that has a 1.625 c'bore, 1" deep, and a 15 deg draft angle .5 deep in the c'bore. When I use 5ax swarf toolpath I get steps, I was told if I adjust the G28 tolerance it will look smoother, but this doesn't seem to be helping enough. I could just surface the taper, and polish to remove the scallop, but it would be much faster and easier if I could use the 5axis. Is there a toolpath that may give me a better surface finish? Our machine seems to have a dwell at the end of linear moves, which may be part of the reason my finish looks like crap.

• 2 weeks later...

I changed my tol, and it worked great for finish on straight lines, however not so good in the corners. I cannot log on to photobucket at work to upload a screenshot, and pictures of whats happening, but when Machining a tapered wall on a pocket in the corners, it gouges the midpoint of both left and right corners. When my machine is cutting the wall it works great, but in the corner where the c-axis has to rotate more than on a straight wall, the machine seems to dwell before making the large c-move, and it digs in by at least .02" and it seems to be the exact midpoint of each corner. My mastercam verify looks great, but on the machine, not so great.

If I try to cut a complete arc it digs in in several spots, maybe the quadrants of the arc? I am not sure. I cant upload the pics, but could e-mail them if someone wants to see them.

The machine is a dmu80t, with a Inhouse Solutions post.

+1 on the fanning.

This gives you a smoother transition around corners.

Also, assuming you are using a ball end mill, you can set lead / lag angles in your parameters that will not allow the exact center of the ball mill to contact the surface. This will clean up some of those dwell marks too. wink.gif

I am using a flat endmill. What should my point generator be set to? I see fanning feedrate, but nothing to enable it. Should I be using advanced multiaxis toolpaths?

BTW Jim I found out why m59 wasnt working for me. I had to sign a liability waiver from dmg to have it activated.