Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Flatten Surface

Toonz

Am I doing something wrong? Or is there something else I need to do first?

I am using the C-Hook "FlattenSurf" and it is effectively flattening the surfaces I am selecting. However, it is giving me a flattened version of the untrimmed surface. I need to have the trimmed surface flattened.

HELP!!

trimming the flattened surface to the same "appearent" size as the trimmed/contoured surface wont give you an actual flat profile. unless im missing something? i am trying to accomplish the same thing as Toonz, but thinking about it, if you trim the flat to the same size as the contoured, the flat will be undersized because the contour needs to be "unrolled/flattened" and it in effect "stretches" as you do so making the flat size physically larger than the appearent size of the 3d part. does that make sense?

I started my own topic without seeing this topic, shame on me, i only found 4 topics on flattening and yours wasnt one. but now that we are here, take a look at the link below, this guys makes it sound simple, even though its not, the problem is, it didnt work 100% as advertised for me, but maybe you'll have better luck! please post your progress, i will. we are after the same result! cheers.gif

http://www.emastercam.com/cgi-bin/ultimate...t=024893#000000

Motor city, am i reading you right? chord length = apparent length which is a 2d length, and we need the 3d length. when i use FlattenSurf, i get a flat surface with the "actual" length of the part. but then i have to transfer geometry/the perimeter of the part onto the flat surf, but i cant figure out how, i followed Colins directions in the link above, and i was able to transfer one "long" edge to my new surf, but not both edges.

Ok...so after struggling thru some trial and error and re-reading Colin's post in the link above, I am getting some limited results.

The biggest problem I have now is that when I create the surface curve to Map to the falttened surface. The create surface curve command deletes most of my curve leaving me a very tiny little segment.

Sooo....guys....any other thoughts/ideas on this topic?

Hey Mike,

I think your original curves are suspect. If you are turning your splines into surface curves and the result is that you only get a tiny portion of your original spline, something is wrong.

First, make sure all your splines are Parametric. Then create points at the node points of your splines. Use these node points with "Edit/Trim/Break > set to "break" and "at point". Now go break up your splines.

Once you have "broken" a spline, you need to use the "Wholespline" chook to remove the 'trim' data from the spline definition. In essence this rebuilds the trimmed (broken) spline into a new, non-trimmed spline.

Once your splines are rebuilt, then try turning them into surface curves.

I got your email, but I wouldn't be able to take a look at your surfaces until this weekend. If you still haven't gotten it by then, send me another message and I'll try to help you out from home...

HTH,

After you untrimmed the surface and tried to use Map, did you try swapping the U/V directions? Sometimes that is all you need to do to get a curve that is the correct length.

Don't expect it to be perfect. I usually analyze a spline to get it's 3D length, then map the curve. You should expect to be within 1-3% of the original length of the 3D spline.

Im having some trouble here...

"First, make sure all your splines are Parametric. Then create points at the node points of your splines. Use these node points with "Edit/Trim/Break > set to "break" and "at point". Now go break up your splines."

I converted my splines to parametric (and set spline generation to parametric). If I am certain my splines are Parametric, do i need to Trim/Break @ Node points? Could you define node points? Are they Intersecting points or Mid points and such? When i tried Trim/break @ point, I selected the splines and broke them @ midpoints and intersections. However, after i used the Wholespline C-hook, the spline still appears as a Parametric, but it is still "segmented". is this normal? Before the Trim/Break, i had a four sided surface, with one complete spline for each side.

Ok my standings as of 4:15pm CDT. I took my 4 pc Parametric spline, used Create Point/ Node Points to create points at all node locations, then used Trim/Break/Extend set at Break (instead of trim) and set at Trim to Point. Is this right? then I selected all splines a little at a time, and trimmed each spline to each node point. Which gave me lots of little segments. Next, I used WholeSpline which said 64 curves converted to Splines. Which i thought was cool, BUT, the splines dont appear to coagulate. I mean, they stay in the "node defined" segments. if i press shift, they will all select as a chain, but if i click to highlight one, only the small length that i click on highlights. Also, now i have tried to Create/Curve-Surface Curve, and any spline i choose stays a parametric spline instead of converting into a Surface Curve. And here it is 4:30, quitting time, I guess ill "play with it" again tomorrow!

Eureeka!!

I now have a working solution to this problem. Starting out with Colin's original solution (linky above) I used part of it.

Step 1. Create edge curves on the formed (and trimmed) suface.

Step 2. Use the create Surface Curve command (without chaining as a spline, as Colin suggested) selecting each element one at a time repeating the command each time. (yes this is a royal PITA!!)

Step 3. After creating Surface Curves, (if your results are like mine) most of your elements will have either disappeared or been shortened. REPEAT Step 1

Step 4. Now, where your elements disappeared in Step 2, go around and place Points.

Step 5. Flatten your surface, using the C-Hook.

Step 6. Map (C-Hook) the Surface Curves and when you do turn on the Points option. This will give you the most complete mapping.

Step 7. Using any variety of elements place lines, arcs, splines on top of the newly mapped elements.

Step 8. Trim surface to the elements you just placed.

Done!!

bonk.gifcheers.gif

When I extend the edge of my solid then convert my spline to Surface curve, it doesnt shorten, per Colins advice. However, I then create node points, then map the geo, selecting Points as you stated, and all the points show up on the edge of my flat. My problem is, the flat is over sized, the chord length of one of my short ends is 2.604" and the flat length of both ends of my flat are both over 3"... I am stumped.

McKenzie,

In step 3 repeat step 1, if needed. But DO NOT repeat step 2....just go on to step 4.

I have also found that by creating End Points or Node Points (instead of just placing Points), that regardless of which method of placing points, not all of them will map to the flat surface. That is why a little duplication of effort is required.

By doing the steps as outlined above I have produced a very acceptable flat surface.