Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 axis Toolpath Surface Creation??

SydwazShawn

I’m trying to figure out what the proper methods are for getting a really good smooth toolpath from 5axis toolpaths. I’ve done some tests and it seems to me it really depends on how the surface was created.

If anyone has insight on what a good procedure is in creating surfaces, as far as tolerances go to create the best surface possible for machining off of?

Do you guys typically just create surfaces from solids, or do you find that creating edge curves from a solid and then create surfaces from those curves works better? I’m finding with my new machine that it will flow really well on some surfaces and on others it dances around a lot. I did dynamic analyze and extended the line out and I can definitely see it move back and fourth on my trouble areas. I’m just not sure how to remedy this.

I'm sure there are other tricks also in the advanced toolpath settings, but I feel that the surfaces need to be up to par also?

Thx, Shawn.

Hey Shawn,

I usually do not have good luck creating complex surfaces from solids on 5X paths. I typically use edge curves to create my surfaces even if it's a surface/solid model. I usually get cleaner surfaces when I create them in MC.

For the 5X paths being "smoother" there are several tricks you can do. One of the most effective I've used is the Point/Angle Generators. Say for instance I'm programming an impeller and I'm using a Swarf Toolpath. After creating the wall & floor surfaces in MC I'll select the wall surfaces and use the floor as a comp surface. Once my toolpath parameters are set (clearances, tolerance, stepover, etc.) I'll set my angle generator to 0.01 degrees. This means that for every 0.01 degrees MC will post a line/point to machine to. This will produce tons of code but will ultimately make your tool motion and surface look smoother. You must have a really fast control with a long look ahead (which in your case you do cheers.gif ) to take advantage of this feature.

I'd suggest playing around with the Point/Angle Generators and see what kind of results you get.

HTH

Josh