Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Is this computer a good buy for X4?

left coast lefty

I am considering this budget system from Xi Computer:

Intel® Core™ i7 930 2.80GHz 8MB Shared L3 Cache 1x4.8GT/s QPI Quad-Core VT EM64T

3072MB Patriot™ DDR3 @1333MHz 3x1024 Triple Rank Interleave w/Heat Spread

nVidia® Quadro FX 580 512MB DDR3 PCIe 2x DVI Dual Link

500GB 7200RPM SATAII 300MB/s 16MB Cache 11ms avg. seek

Genuine Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium Edition 64Bit on DVD

About $1300

Should I spend the extra $180 to bump it up to 6GB?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

The 930 is a LGA 1366 socket mobo so memory is tri channel and all 3 need to be the same. So when you want to upgrade the memory the 1024's will all need to be replaced. I'd go with 2 gig sticks (6g total) and be done with it.

Plus side that motherboard should support future 6 core processors. Do you know the power supply and which motherboard it comes with? If you have a choice get a Sata III ready board then upgrade to Sata III SSD (as they are on their way out now)...and future proof.

Price is fair and that system would run Mastercam very well.

Thanks Verndog!

The power supply is:

650W Corsair® TX Series Ultra-Quiet BB 12cm Fan 80%+efficiency 99% APFC UL

750W is $40 more

Motherboard:

EVGA® X58 SLI® Micro -Intel® X58-2xPCIe 16x-Triple Channel DDR3 1333-1600+-1Gb Ethernet-6xSATA3Gb RAID 0/1/10/5-1394-Digital Audio-8CH-S/PDIF-Free Eleet-2xSLI/CrossFire

EVGA® X58 SLI® LE-Intel® X58-3xPCIe 16x-Triple Channel DDR3 1333-1600+-1Gb Ethernet-6xSATA3Gb RAID 0/1/10/5-1394-Digital Audio-8CH-S/PDIF-Free Eleet-2/3xSLI/CrossFire

$50 more for the above, or several other ASUS options (I heard they were reputable)- not sure what to look for.

Thanks again, really appreciate the help.

Go for the EVGA X58 SLI LE-Intel board. I use evga parts in my gaming box and never had a problem with them. PSU's fine at 650 watts (unless you're gonna throw a bigger GPU in there. Also with the ram, because it's tri channel the MOBO can support up to 12GB. All you need is 3 of the same sticks (3 2GB sticks or 6 1GB sticks) at the highest frequency your mobo can support (makes a huge difference!!)

The Corsair PS is very good, I just built a home machine with the 650 here.

Not sure on that mobo, but if EM says so...so be it. I have a X58 1366 machine at work with the i7 920 and I'm running the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 board and its very stable and trouble free at this point (2 months). You can add the Sata III thru the PCI at a later point since that board doesn't come with it. Only other thing I'd want is Esata connection for fast external drive BU...but again a card can be added, didn't see that on that board.

quote:

You know you can get a sata to esata cord and just specify that its esata in the bios right? Hella cheaper than a card.

Yes, but you still take up the slot in the back of the machine. Some Esata enclosures (add your own HD) come with the adapter...but since I run Asus the MB's comes with it...and USB 3.0 and Sata III wink.gif