Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Probe Points

McRae

Try this.

Menu select: Create, Point, Srf Project

Then select your Surface(s) and/or Solid(s)

Menu select: Done, Done

It will ask you -> Want to select existing point entities?

If you answer NO, you can then select positions by the usual methods (endpt, etc)

Menu selects...

Now you select the projection details/options. 'Make Pts' = Y

Note that you can also output an APT file with the XYZIJK of these vectors.

Set 'To file' = A

Menu select: Do it

I'm sure there is more than one but here is how I would do it.

Set c-plane normal to the line. Create point on the visible end of the line. Then create,point,srf project. When prompted for surfaces select solid. I hope this helps. I will put the completed one on the ftp.

Here is how I accomplish this task.

Take and draw a horizontal and vertical line that run thru the point that you want to probe. Then setup a cutter that simulates the shape of your stylus. Example: 6mm round stylus, setup a lolipop cutter with a diameter of 6mm. Then use surface finish project toolpath using the cutter you just created to project the lines onto the surfaces. Then backplot the toolpath and save the toolpath off as geometry. You can now analyse the intersection of the backploted toolpath.

The reason I do it this way is if I am probing a surface that is at a drastic angle, I can assure that I am getting the exact point where the stylus contacts the surface.

I should mention that by using this method, you will not be getting the contact point. But rather the "Z" heigth of the tip of the stylus where it contacts the surface. If you need to, you can also set your tip compensation to center, and you will get the location of the center of the stylus where it contacts the surface.

Hope this helps!!