Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Custom Lathe tool Problem

G10X0Y0Z0

I need some help from the lathe guys. i searched the forum but could not find anything pertaining to my situation. i cannot get my custom tool to cut correctly. file is uploaded on the ftp in X4 files directory called CUSTOM TOOL PROBLEM

using MCX4 MU3. thanks in advance for any help.

how do get the tool to work properly and what am i doing wrong

Try to use a grooving tool set at angle instead of a custom tool

for your toolpath , use grove toolpath instead of lathe rough

just ignore the collision warning due to your shank hitting the part , in reality your toll will clear the part

in lathe you absolutely need to be a good liar... wink.gif

i add CUSTOM TOOL SOLVED.MCX on the FTP

What????? A senior member??? said that??? I create custom tools all the time. It is not that difficult once you get the hang of it. Then you don't have to lie to yourself or mastercam and you won't get the annoying crash errors.

Here is how I do it:

-In a NEW file start by drawing the insert geometry, even if the tool does not use a insert you must draw the tip as one. I use color #138. include radius and draw radius tangent to X0 Y0, in relation to the type of tool. ie. if bore bar use X+ Y- (quadrant 4), a od tool would use X+ Y+ (quadrant 1) and so on. Insert must be closed off.

-Next draw the tool. ie. bore bar. for this I use color #116. Same principals apply as before. tool geometry must be closed off.

-(OPTIONAL) Then I draw the tool holder using the same color #116 and principals as before. holder geometry must be closed off.

-Your geometry should be complete and resemble the tool you are tring to use save this file in C:McamX4lathetools

-Open the file that requires your custom tool

-Select toolpath and chain as normal

-In tool dialog, right mouse click and select "Create new tool..."

-Select "Custom"

-Select correct tool orientations for top view and turret. ie. for id bore bar that cuts along the Z-axis use option 4 for both orientations.

-Next click the "Select" button next to File, under Tool Geometry. Browse to C:McamX4lathetools where you saved your custom tool and select.

-Then click "Select" under Insert corner radius (inch), and select radius at tip of tool.

-Then click "Tool Center..." button and select the center point of the radius. ie. if your corner radius is .0078 for a id bore bar your tool center should be X-.0078 Z.0078

-Go to the next tab "Tool Type" and select the appropriate classification.

-Then to the "Parameters" tab and populate appropriate fields, including "Tool name", then select "Save To Library..." button and SAVE to appropriate library so you can use it for future jobs as needed.

The custom tool will/should not give crash errors on regens or backplot but it will in verify because there is no way to define thickness of the insert. It would be nice if mc could import solids for tools...hint, hint.

Try to keep your files consistant. you will find it to be alot easier down the road.

Good luck. If you have any further questions please let me know.

haha... sorry, I guess i should have looked at the file before I opened my big mouth. Goldorak was correct SORRY, the angled groovers are kind of tricky. You can set it up through custom tools but its a lot easier as a groover. i will have to look for a file that I have done before. I know I've done one similar to this and defined it correctly so there wouldn't be a virtual crash.

you can use a custom tool to get this job done

all you need is to draw the custom tool at the desires angle (draw the holder at angle and the insert parallel to X

then in the setup tool page , set you tool at angle , so mastercam should use it like it should, but the groover way ia a lot easier