Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solids vs. 2D tradeoffs

rokahn

Importing solids from SolidWorks and finding that selecting geometry chains is more difficult than if I import a DXF. A closed contour can be selected with one mouse click if it's 2D. When it's a solid I have to select each segment. And if I'm viewing it from the top I sometimes select the foreground edge and sometimes the background...then it complains that the geometry doesn't line up (so I have to rotate the model so the edges don't superimpose).

It's nice to have a golden source (the solid) so if I update the model, the toolpaths will regenerate. This is not the case if I export DXF's.

However, what are the other benefits of working with solids instead of 2D (for simple parts)?

[ 08-28-2002, 05:28 AM: Message edited by: rokahn ]

For chaining solid edges set your loop to yes and your partial to yes. Select one edge along the contour you to machine, this will be your start position. Then hit the other button until you are shown the contour you are looking for and then hit done. Now if you want to do a partial chain pick the solid edge that defines the end of your chain and your done.

hope this helps, solids work very well once your used to working with them.

rokahn,

As with any new technology or software, learning how to use it makes it much easier. I prefer to work with Solids in just about anything because Mcam knows where the part is in 3D space. Any time I choose a face to pocket or edge to contour, I never have to select the depth for that pocket or contour. Mcam already knows what the depth of that face or edge is in relation to the rest of the part. There are other advantages to Solid geometry over DXF or 2D entities. Consider getting some formal training with the software from your reseller before making any final decisions on which is better. HTH biggrin.gif