Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MasterCam vs Esprit

Mcam Nut

Just wondering if anyone has made the switch from MasterCam to Esprit?, and how they compare for 5axis mill programming? I know that Esprit is a much better software for Lathe, and Mill/Turn programming, Just wondering if we should keep Mastercam for our Mills, or just switch everything over to Esprit?

Shawn,

We have added Esprit for our Mori NL Y-Axis / Sub spindle lathe and it works well. Most importantly, the code is very robust with very minimal post modifications (mostly made for preferences).

I really like many features of Esprit but many are also pretty bizarre. Like anything, you are used to MC so making a switch will seem very weird since Esprit is pretty different than MC. You will want to do things the way you do them in MC and that won't work and you will get frustrated. Quite honestly, MC is easier to use than Esprit and for milling I won't switch from MC to Esprit.

But, I have been speaking with the reseller for NX CAM and I am getting more and more interested in that system for both milling and turning. From my extremely brief investigation, NX appears to be a very high end system that they are now selling in the mid markets of MC, Esprit and alike. I hope to get a eval seat very soon.

quote:

wow.. aren't we taking steps backwards

If Mastercam had the capabilities of Esprit, I wouldn't consider switching. I for one would like to think Mastercam is the best CAM software available, unfortunately this isn't the case. For most mill programs Mastercam does a good job, however they are behind the competition in other areas.

Guest SAIPEM

As Dave stated, learning ESPRIT will drive you batty if you come from a Mastercam background.

Things like ESPRIT's geometry creation are right out of the stone age where Mastercam is very robust.

If you simply want to extend a line segment 0.05, in ESPRIT you are SOL. You have create extra construction geometry and then trim. In MC it takes a couple of mouse clicks. Then you have the concept of features in ESPRIT, a complete and utter waste of time.

Conversely, Machine setup in Mastercam is an absolute abortion where ESPRIT is logical and well laid out.

After having used both for quite some time, I would only use ESPRIT for Mill/Turn.

Mastercam has ceded this part of the CAM market.

ESPRIT is passable for 2.5D work but it is bloody horrible for any type of 3D mold work or any 5-Axis machining.

SAIPEM,

Like all software, there are many ways to get things done. I don't agree with your comments regarding Esprit whole heartily. Like MC's lead in/out extend/ shorten contour Esprit to has the ability to extended or shorten so you are not SOL.

For those that don't know Esprit, features is the same as MC geometry. In Esprit, you create features first and then apply toolpaths. It's just the opposite of MC but it has it's pros and cons. Features can be created right of the solid but in many some cases it's easier to create geometry (from or not from the model) and then create the feature. I am sure this is the part that SAIPEM is complaining about. For me, in most cases I can create the features I need directly from the model so it's no additional work then MC, simply a different order.

Again, IMO, Esprit has some good points and some bad, just like MC. I am not satisfied with ether system and that's why I plan to investigate NX in great detail.

From what I've seen so far it looks to me like NX is a killer system. Check out some of the youtube videos showing NX modeling and NX CAM - you will be impressed.