Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT: solidworks hole wizard question

Sbarner

Greetings all,

I thought that there was a way in Solidworks to create and edit hole wizard holes to have custom sizes and to be able to add commonly used odd sizes that the standard database didn't have. I'm using Solidworks 2009 and I'm in the toolbox configuration, in the hole wizard hole area, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to either edit the info that is there, or make a new entry. I want to add a hole wizard hole for 5/8-27 threads that we commonly use. Any help would be appreciated.

I found a Microsoft Access database with all the pertinent info. You can open the generic file which lists all the databases for a given set of fasteners and standards (for example, ANSI inch or ANSI metric). Once you open that there are like 30 different databases where you can change the info. The best part of it is that the titles of the databases are written in some cryptic shorthand, so you have to open each one to figure out if you're close or not. Even then there is no guarantee that you're in the right one.

We used to edit the Access database directly, until we were strongly advised not to. There is a way to do what you want to do, you will have to give me a bit to remember what it is. Be aware that if you edit the database directly, it will likely cause problems downstream.

I am out on a limb here, but....

It goes something like this. In your design library, make a copy of the standard you want to use and name it something like "ANSI Standard-WSU". I don't think the SW issued standards are editable. Then you can go in and configure the standard to your liking, add new holes, threads, etc. Likely the most help I can give you is get your VAR to hold your hand through the process. My recollection is once you get in the rhythm, it isn't too bad, but it is hard to stumble your way through the process.

• 1 year later...