Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Compound Angle

cqualls

I've put a file on the FTP named CQ_REAR_COVER ftp://www.mastercam-cadcam.com/Mastercam_forum/X4_Files/

I'm going to put the 16mm hole in on a compound angle using a Horizontal 4 axis Machining center, and a Tilt table.

I laid the hole out, with a scribe, on the part tilted the table to 32.2875 and rotated the machine to 20.483

Set up off of the tooling ball and moved X-2.9737 and Y 2.0145 and it doesn't come out Right.

Question is: What angle should the tilt table be tilted to, What angle should the table be rotated to, What distance should I move off of the tooling ball in x & Y.

Thanks for the replies. JDowe I will check the numbers in the morning and see if the work out for me.

The tilt table is just a manual table that we set up with a 5" sine plate and indicator.

Set the table at 32.875 degrees and clamped the part on it. Then put the whole table on the machine and clamped it down and rotated the fourth axis on the machine.

I'm sending you a part that shows the rotations. The final machining view is TOP. I rotated the part instead of views. I think it makes the action clearer. Before you start, create a point at the center of the tooling ball. You'll need it after you get the part rotated. You don't need any particular machining origin, because the hole is only relative to the ball. But if you make the ball center the machining origin, the offset to the hole is easier. I hope you can leave some stock so you don't have to start the hole on an angled surface.