Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X4 installed in Program Files

Tom Anderson

Does anyone else have X4 installed in program files? If yes have you experienced any problems?

Here's the story. We have installed X4 in program files for all our users (over 70). One user recently had a problem with a file crashing on file open. I tested it on my PC, and it crashes here also. Event log has this < Message >MSVCR90.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005) in module MSVCR90.dll at 001b:7855b00a.< /Message >

I sent the file to the Mcam dealer who says it opens just fine. I then tried it on another PC here with X4 installed at C:McamX4, an it opens fine. So it appears directly related to where X4 is installed.

WTH? banghead.gif

The latest word from Mcam dealer is " CNC says X4 doesn't realy like to be installed in Program Files directory..."

Anyone else heard of this? It doesn't cause problems all the time, but we can't have files get hosed at random, and we really can't go redo 70+ installs. I'm looking for a fix or work-around.

They are trying to sell you a load.

A properly written and deployed application can be installed to any folder.

..Program Files or ..Program Files (x86) have specific security protocols that are "enforced" by the OS since Vista.

That is, no files that will be created or edited by a user should be located in any sub-folder of ..Program Files or ..Program Files (x86).

You can get around this by modifying the user permissions but that is a security issue.

Odds are you are experiencing problems related to specific user permissions.

Try creating a MCAM user group and enforce the user rights via Group Policy on your domain.

If you're on Windows 7, ownership can also be an issue.

Yes, we have followed the guidelines in the X4 Administrator’s Guide for installing in C:Program FilesMcamX4 and setting user permissions(pg34). I am an Admin on my PC and this file still will not open. But will open on a C:McamX4 instalation.

IT dept scripted the setting of permissions on the Program FilesMcamX4 folder, I will talk to them about setting it through GPO.

Tom,

If you are running on Vista or Windows 7, try turning off UAC temporarily.

Even Admins are treated as users under UAC and elevation is required for certain tasks.

You can also try setting the Mastercam EXE file to run as an Admin for all users.

Tom,

Probably not the answer you would like but I had an issue with one of our customers who had loaded McamX4 into Program Files. I don't recall that we had the issue of Mcam crashing on file open however there were other bizarre issues that I could not reproduce. McamX4 is loaded in the C: drive on my computer.

The fix was to reinstall McamX4 to to the C: drive and the issues "automagically" went away.

Thanks for the input guys. The problems are random, so I think we'll track it to see how many many before we decide what action to take. It is just crazy that a file opens on C:McamX4 install and not on Program FilesMcamX4 install!!!! Still waiting for word from CNC as to a fix or work-around.

My guess is the answer will be "it works in the next version". Heard that before? Hopefully, since X5 default will be to install in Program Files :fingers crossed:

Or, we'll have to go back and re-install on 70 PCs. I suggested to our dealer I would do that and then deduct the time cost from our annual maintenance . . . . . . . . . . still waiting for a response. biggrin.gif

So pass it on: DO NOT INSTALL MASTERCAM X4 IN C:PROGRAM FILES No matter that the X4 Administrator's Guide says you can.