Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

STL saving issue.

powder

I work in a prototype shop that uses X3. Because of the nature of the work we do, it's usually a program as you go type of deal.

We use the .stl compare for obvious reasons, but ever since X3 came along we've had issues saving certain toolpaths, namely 5 axis paths. At first i thought it was a toolpath size issue, but then i got a 5 axis curve to save that was 2+ mb and couldn't get a 5 axis swarf to save that was less than 900 kb.

General practice here is to verify, then compare and save the progress as a "sofar.stl". Number of operations range from 40 up to 100+ for some parts. So the problem lies in time that it saves the next shift. If there's no progress on the .stl file, they have to re-verify and this gets very time consuming when all 3 shifts have to go through and verify sometimes 20+ 5 axis paths.

Certain toolpaths make it freeze, then an error pops up that says "Fatal error in Verify/simulation. Please exit Verify/simulation and try again with reduced image quality. If the problem persists, please report it to CNC Software." Then another window pops up that says "Operation Failed!"

My tolerance for Verify is set to .002 if it means anything.

Is this an X3 bug or is it just the nature of the beast?

My whole shop runs 32 bit win xp on a computer that imo, should be running a 64 bit OS. It's a Dell Precision 490 pc. Twin dual cores, Nvidia Quadro FX3500 vid card, maxed out for ram on xp at 3.25GB.

Any help on shedding some light on this issue is much appreciated. Sorry for the long post, but i felt you would need me to go into as much detail as possible about the issue.

I have been getting this exact same error lately when trying to do a compare stl in verify as well. I only have mill level one, so I guess that tells us it's not a bug for 5 axis paths only. The solid I am trying to compare against is just simply very large, and after continually getting this error trying to verify simple drilling operations, I just gave up ans started using boolean-common to make .STL's local to just the area I am trying to verify.

I think if I was in your case, doing the type of work you are doing, I would be pushing management to buy a seat of Vericut.

Yeah today it happened when i ran 3 surface finish parallels at the same time. Tried to save the in work stl and it dumped it and gave me that error. I re verified all the previous toolpaths (like 45 of them) and ran the 3 problem paths individually, and it saved fine on each... this is driving me nuts.

I agree I see this problem as well once an stl reaches, to me, what appears to be a certain level of complexity.

Do you guys send these into your reseller or CNC so that they can be evaluated?

Most of out parts are under an NDA, so it's not really possible to send the files over to IHS. Unlike a lot of the people around here, I just accept the bugs for what they are. EVERY CAM software I have used has bugs, and I would suggest it's just the nature of the beast due to the complexity of the software. I just move along and try to find a work around. As long as the bug doesn't cause me to make scrap, it's no biggie.

Hi Mike,

Actually we have a pretty lengthy NDA in place with CNC Software. I'll shoot you an Email about it on Monday. I don't work Fridays biggrin.gif . Do you know Skip Baker? He can give you the low down on what we can and can't send to them. I'm pretty sure you can send in the files that are causing you problems, but you have to strip out all part related info. Like I said, we'll talk further.

Thanks,