Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

cfg file lost????

chad fisher

Occasionally we are losing some of our defaults in the configuration of mc9. What i mean by this

is in like a contour opperation we have all the clearence/ retract/ top of stock checked and set to absolute numbers i.e clearence 2., retract .25, feed plane .100. Well once in a while it will have the clearence unchecked and retract at incremetal, almost as if you had just done a fresh install of mcam. Is there an explaination of why it does this just once in a while, i could understand if you had to select you cfg every time you started mcam because the systyem would start with fresh defaults all the time but it doesnt. Our computers are all dells with windows 2000 pro and since we have multiple users we have to log on off of the computers all the time. Would this possibly have something to do with this? Any help would greatly be appreaciated, Thanks, Chad

Your op defaults are not in the config file they are in the df9 file. In windows explorer see what the date of you df9 file is, if it hasn't been changed the date should be the last time you modified your defaults. In windows you can set the df9 file as read only and that may help to keep some people out. Other than that I don't know what to say other than good luck with that poltergeist on halloween.

does this happen why you are programming a

job?

if this is the case, mastercam only remembers the cfg. file for the toolpath on the initial call up of it, not everytime you use the tool path. So if the toolpath before had an incremental

retract, the next tool path will also, no matter what.

I just called up our reseller on this this

morning.that is how it was explained to me.

Hope this helps!!!

i understand about if you change 1 operation to incremental then the next time it comes up it will be incremental again. Like here is another example, i set screen config page to always use our haas post, well some times when mastercam is started it will say post not found, and when you go to select the post again its name is already selected but it acts if it does not recognize it. So even though it is there you have to go in and re select it. Now........whats up with that??

As i stated earlier there is acouple of different people who use the different computers and 1 computer might be logged on and off up to 20 or more times a day? I dont think that should have anything to do with it, but ya never know. We have 4 different dells all with 2000 pro on them with mcam 9 installed, one of our guys crashed the machine because it defaulted to a retract of .25 incremental and he was z-.75 in the cut so the tool only came to -.5 before it moved in x-y "crash" well when this happened i immediatly got the blame for mcam 9 having problems so i asked him to show me the mc9 file. When i looked at the opperation i seen where the clearence planed was turned off and the retract plane was set incremental. Now i do trust my guy that he wouldnt of changed this to do that "who would crash a machine intentally" so i pointed out what was wrong and to recheck clearence plane and make change to absolute retract. Any way an argument occurred over why it was changing to do this "i dont know cant explaine it" Anyway i setup all the defaults again and did a save as because our reseller told us to do it like that. But why it is changing occasionally i dont know.