Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MasterCam for students

Michael Reynolds

Just a thought, would it be possible to have a version of MCam that students could have that would allow them to create geometry and toolpaths, then save them? BUT not be able to postprocess them? That would be VERY nice for us teachers out there.

I'm probably missing a big part of why it's not already there, but it's just a though I had.

I would have posted this on the instructor's forum, but there doesn't seem to be much trafic there.

Thanks fer listnin',

Mike R.

Humble MasterCAM Instructor

Mike there is a edu version for the students. I offer to all my students you can see some of the info on my links page bud.

Oh by the the way the Edu version does post and do every thing else.

And this id really a post for the instructor's forum.

There are only so many instructor's on this board at this time.

But Mike it's all good. smile.gif

I fully agree with Jay. Having an affordable package for students was an outstanding idea from CNC. It not only gets MC out there, but it teaches and "enhances" future machinist for our industry. Believe me, I am old school, but technology will not be held down. If CNC can can create a package that will entice students and colleges all over, more power to them.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I wish they (CNC) would make their Demo like Surfcam's (gasp!!!!!!!!!! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif ) demo. It saves in a different file format so if a student spends a few hours, he/she can save it and continue on it at a later time but the file cannot be read into the fully functional version.

The Educational Version is a good buy though, and after all is said and done, you do end up with a seat of Design when it times out.

BTW I do strongly suggest to my students to either buy the demo software so that they can practice outside the classroom or try to use it at work or something, because face it, 4 hours twice a week for 16 weeks is not even close to enough time to become proficient with the software.

JM2C

You got that right James! I teach mcam 5 hours per week for 15 weeks. Some students get pretty dam good at it, and some are just starting to catch on by the end.

The reason I keep bringing this up is that if I require the student version, the student is responsible for it. That works well for students who are going to school in a federal program (if you are laid off, program 599 pays both unemployment and college tuition, book, etc.)

Those students (80% of my population) would have no problem. The other 20% may not be able to afford it.

But if they could everything BUT post the program, life would be much easier, and it would still be useless to everyone else.

JM2C,

Mike R.

I taught CNC at a school in Utah (The program has since shut down) We were using SmartCam (a terrible CAM package in my opinion). I tried to get the powers that be (or were) to purchase Mastercam which is what I was familiar with but they would not do it and $300.00 is alot of money for most trade/tech students. After discovering that Surfcam offeres a free 2 1/2 axis version over the internet that is fully functional (a simple license renewal every 60 days) I started using it and it would do every thing that we needed it to do. It has some limitations but, being similar to mastercam it is an easy jump from surfcam to mastercam.

Personally, I would not waste 300.00 on software that is going to go belly-up on me in 9 months, as a student I worked too hard for my money. The question is: Why doesn't MC offer a 2 1/2 axis free trial version for mill only or something similar? Personally I like MC better but Surfcam is a decent CAD/CAM package, especially in surfacing, and for the price...

Here is the bad part. Because I could not find an affordable version of MC there are now about 45 people in utah who have been trained in surfcam, like surfcam, and would most likely recommend or buy surfcam if the occassion arose.

Aaron well as of the summer I had 45 students all learning Mastercam and would they use and recommend it and that was just my beginning class.

And have more students now.

The Idea of the timed seat was so they could get to use the full setup not just 2D.

And when it comes to using the software one of the biggest things is SEAT time.

The more time they get the better at they will get.

If they do not want to get the apprentice package they can get the full working Demo disk.

They just will not be able to save there files.

JM2C

Hi Jay!

So, what would the harm be in creating a version that you can do everything in BUT post? Would it be an easy thing to hack?

I'd be more than happy with what the previous poster said, just a simple 2 1/2d with no posting abilities, but able to save geo and toolpaths, so they can post it at school on the educational seats.

Whadaya think?

Mike R.

The purpose of a school is to prepare students for employment. IMHO, since Mastercam has a much larger market share than surfcam, I think it's doing a disservice to teach the students something other than what they need to gain meaningful employment.

Educational software is dirt cheap, and if your school district is anything like California, they've pumped billions of dollars into education (lottery, ballot measures, etc). It's hard to believe that a few hundred bucks per system would get in the way of giving the students what they need if the administration really gives a hoot about the future of the students.

Regarding the educational version, I've had individuals buy industrial Mastercam (yes, at $5,000 to $13,000). All those people ended up being very successful.

Paying $300 to master your trade does not seem like a lot of money. How much did you spend on your tool box?

That said, I agree an educational version that will only post to one decimal, and have graphic files that are not compatible with industrial software is a great idea.

Michael No I do not agree.

Surfcam gave the software away as of a desperate way of getting more people to use it and get more sales.

Mastercam does not need to do that.

quote:

So, what would the harm be in creating a version that you can do everything in BUT post?

Well then people would get that and use as a design seat.

Instead of buying a design seat. I personally like the way it is now.

It does give the students more options then using a pirated version...

My Two Cents.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

The arguements here are exactly the reason I would like to see Mastercam make their Demo like Surfcam's. You get to save what you've put hours into. Not being a "Coding Guru" I don't know how difficult it woudl actually be to do this but I feel liek it would definitely be a big plus.

Regarding Surfcam giving their software away, that by itself SHOULD speak volumes about the condition of their company. Surfcam was once very promising software, flirting with the top 5 CAD/CAM systems, now I think they are barely in the top 10. 1 word about Surfcam, ]DESPERATE!!!!!!!!! and losing market share daily. I just heard of yet another company jumping ship to hop on over to Mastercam.

I too would like to hear CNC Software chime in on this issue.

[ 11-11-2002, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

What would really help is if Draft had 2D DEMO toolpaths.

That way, for $150, you could practice at home and bring your completed drawings to class.

Maybe add a configuration switch to the shortcut during install (Do you want to load Demo toolpaths also? Y/N) for people who did not want to be bothered with the Toolpaths menu.

Just my 2 cents.