Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Corner rounding radius - Surface Rough Contour

tala

So, it being Saturday and all, with no tech support available...

Operation: Surface Rough Contour.

Under Rough contour parameters.

In the upper left area of window just under Maximum Stepdown is :

----- "Corner Rounding Radius"

Questions:

Does Corner Rounding Radius apply to edges sticking out?

Does Corner Rounding Radius apply to internal sharp edges?

When the radius is "rolled" does it cut the part edge with a radius?

Is the radius at the tool axis, or at the part edge?

Will settings of zero roll adversely affect the calc time?

(ie larger radius = longer time or shorter time or no effect...)

I have these questions after having an operation lock and I'm

wondering if "corner rounding radius" might contribute

to the op lock...

I'd also like to know just what corner rounding radius is doing...

Thanks,

Tala

[email protected]

415 586-9420

Tala,

Nothing in the Surface-Contour operation should "lock" the op. Times where an op may be "locked" is if you edited the toolpath using the Toolpath Editor, or if you applied High Feed applications to that op. There may be other times when there will be a lock placed on an operation but not from the corner rounding radius value. To answer your questions about the CRR, it only applies that radius to the toolpath as it encounters a sharp corner on the geometry of 135 deg. or less. Most toolpath in Mastercam is calculated from the tool axis, with the exception of surface toolpath, which is often calculated from the tangent point of the tool to the surface, depending on your settings. If the geometry doesn't have a radius on it, Mastercam will not give you a radius on your part. All it is doing is calculating for a little tool "roll" on sharp corners so you will have a constant tool contact on the part. I think that it would hardly be a noticeable difference in time for toolpath processing. If you want, simply change the radius value and regenerate the toolpath. Take note of the time it takes and repeat the process for another radius until you are satisfied with the results. HTH smile.gif Sorry for the long post.

I think the lock that tala was talking about was locking up his computer as opposed to locking the toolpath preventing any regens. I agree with peter the corner rounding radius is only on internal sharp corners of 135 degrees or less. And the radius you define is the radius of the code, if you have a .05 radius it would matter what size tool you have the radius output in the sharp corner would be .05. Hope this helps, create a simple toolpath and backplot it while saving as geometry and then you can analyze exactly what it is doing.