Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam® Network Licensing with the NetHASP

John King

Greetings fellow Mastercam Users!

I have been using Mastercam since I started in the office about 3 years ago.

We only have one seat that is bundled lathe level 1 and mill level 2

We also have 7 Mastercam users and one Hasp (that we have to share).

Now my question:

I was reading in the Mastercam ver. 9 readme file that if you bought the red network hasp you could do this: "The concept behind network licensing is that a group of Mastercam users who are all connected to the same network can run Mastercam from any station on that network without moving any software protection device between computers. Instead of requiring one HASP on each computer that will be used to run Mastercam, one NetHASP will be installed on any station on the network. That station will be referred to as the NetHASP server. It is not necessarily the network server."

Now if I am reading this right, all I need to do to link up all of the users on the network is buy a nethasp.

Is it really this easy? Or is there more to it?

----------------------------------------

John King

Modern Industries, Inc.

Web: http:// www.modernind.com

Industrial Engineer

JohnK,

The NetHASP works like this: More than 2 seats of Mastercam or separate products of Mastercam can be placed on the NetHASP. These are then used as "floater" seats of the software. You currently have one Mill product and one Lathe product if they were separate instead of bundled on one HASP. Hypothetically, if you were to put these on a NetHASP, you would have ONE seat of Mill and ONE seat of Lathe available for your users. A maximum of 2 users could run Mastercam at the same time. You would have to purchase the license for a second seat of Mill and place it on the NetHASP for 2 people to use Mill at the same time (2 seats Mill, 1 Lathe). You don't have the capability to license one seat of Mill for all 7 users. Unless you licensed 7 seats of Mill. The difference is that instead of having 7 HASPs, you would have 1 red HASP for all 7 seats. It's more secure than trying to keep track of multiple seats. Usually for large companies that already have multiple HASPs. HTH biggrin.gif

[ 11-21-2002, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Peter Scott ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

It is a really nice setup.

... unless your network goes down when a really hot project is on hold until the IT guys can bring it back up. Sorry to play devil's advocate, but that's the reality and that's the reason why we have not migrated to the NetHasp. We often have HOT projects that have to go off without a hitch.

JM2C

James,

Just dont let them It guys have it wink.gif . I got our

SIM back from them LOL. Put it on a Local Machine (with MCam installed). That way you can still Run MCam on the NetHasp machine.

We used to have that happen 'till i solved that problem biggrin.gif Our network is normally very stable but..I know what u meen tho.

The NetHasp is the red one.

nethasp.jpg

-KLG

[ 11-21-2002, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Keith L. Graydon ]

I have been using the nethasp for about 4 months now and we love it, it has made it very easy to move the different seats around to whomever needs to use it, the only problem we have had with it is if MC crashes it does not log out the seat it was using properly so if that person does not launch that level of MC it locks it from everybody else until reset, but this problem is rare.

What in the heck are you doing with 7 programmers and only 1 hasp. That seems like a pain, I have 3 programmers and 3 seats and that is a pain in itself.