Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4th Axis Workholding

Rekd™

Rekd,

Details? What kind of work? Are you fixturing? I don't do much 4th axis machining, so maybe I don't understand your simple question. I do a lot of fixturing, and understand the importance of proper workholding in general. Provide a problem, and I'd be glad to help.

Just the other day I bumped into a post mentioning "invert-a-bolt". I'm sure that you have heard of this, but it reminded me that there is something to learn everyday. I plan on using, or at least trying invert-a-bolt in the near future.

Paul McGarr

Paul,

We're doing all kinds of 4th axis stuff, mostly to be held in a vise-like fixture. As it is now, we try to do complete parts in one program, on 2, 3 or 4 vises. If I can get it, (or most of it), done in a good 4th axis setup, that would be ideal. I want something versatile, easy to adapt to many different parts. No single part in particular.

-Rekd

Matt,

Even with 4th axis stuff, there are many different ways to cut parts complete. It would be nice to see the part in question. There are many new forms of fixturing available now, however, depending on your particular part, having another set of eyes take a look, you may find that making your own may save some money and add some knowledge. I have made a few fixtures for 4th axis parts that totally "house" the part with "boss's" on all faces of the fixture for easy of flipping if necessay and support for centers.

As I said, there are many different ways to go.

By the way, I have two new HAAS's hitting my floor on Jan 24th. Can't wait. With the way I am fixturing, I have been able to "carve" my banjo necks at 600 ipm with no gouge marks!!!! Its awesome. They, HAAS, let me do some cut test before I decided on machines to buy.

Have a great Christmas with you little one biggrin.gif

I made a sub-plate for my 4th axis and in combination with my live center & triangular tombstone I've only taken the 4th off the machine a couple of times. I pin and bolt all kinds of stuff to the plate or tombstone with a set pin-bolt-pin ect. setup, including my 4 in. vices.