Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool Comp

MetalMarvels

This one has had me pulling hair for several hours. I suspect that the answer has been staring me in the face, but I just can't see it.

I am pre-drilling a 1/2-inch diameter hole 0.7-inches deep then using a 0.500 diameter M.A. Ford endmill to finish the inside diameter to 0.625 inches (using contour). I have a small lead-in, lead-out selected (about 0.05 inches)and wear comp selected for the tool. I get a G41 and the D* in the posted code for the endmill, but regardless of the amount of offset I put in the offset table for the tool in the machine - no changes in the cut diameter..... Using a Fadal 3016L. The tool comp seems to work just fine when I use it in other paths - but the lead-in, lead-out is larger.

Does this mean that my lead-in, lead-out is just too small??

I have found that any dummmy (lead-in)moves should be larger that the offset. This gives the tool, "somewhere to go". so to speak.

How much offset did you plan to use? and are you climb cutting the bore?

In the Fadal's that i use i do this for lead-in.

180 degree arc in and out.

the lead-in radius is 1/4 the difference between the actual cutter diameter and the finish hole size.

(.625-.5)/4 = .0315 (lead-in radius)

This technique lets the tool enter the bore on the virtual center.

Oh, and BTW what version MC are u using?

-Keith

[ 01-06-2003, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Keith L. Graydon ]

Are you leading in with a radius only? Can you turn cutter comp on on an arc move in a fadal? Are you putting in a posative or a negative value in the radius register, if it is a negative value is that a valid value in a fadal? If it is negative try changing it to a posative value and picking reverse wear for your compensation.

Other than that I don't know.

Keith,

It just slapped me in the face!!!!! I was using a 0.0498 (10%) lead-in line and arc. TOOOO BIGG for a 0.650 hole with a 0.500 cutter. The lead-in, lead-out was too big and it didn't actually USE the lead-in, lead-out - it was plunging. Therefore NO compensation.

Duh.....

Changing the lead-in, lead-out as you suggested did the trick. The really sad part is that I KNOW this...... Must have had a senior moment.

Thanks all.

cheers.gif