Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Customer verification of parts

DTHOMSON

We are looking to take a blank part and 1.Quickly import a raster file (such as a logo), convert it to vector and engrave the top face. Looking to do this reliably in under 15 minutes.

2. Show the finished solid/surface model with a color and the engraved work as silver. This is what would happen if you took an anodized part and engraved through the anodize. Machining operations need not be done at his point.

3. Send an electronic file to a customer for verification purposes and the customer would be able to manipulate the model to see it from different angles. Perhaps this would be via a link to a website where this process could take place.

We have several companies interested in having this done but have several hundred different graphics options they wish to view. They feel perhaps some graphics will not look very good in this process, or size or color etc. and want to verify via electronic model prior to approval of the part. We are using Draftsman 2000 for the raster to vector conversion (which usually takes longer than 15 minutes alone)and Mastercam V9 for the machining. Anyone have any ideas on how the rest can be done? Thanks in advance.

I just visited Draftman web site for a quick look. I see the application provides a 2D vector outline that can be used by a machine to cut around the image. I'm curious if the application can provide a topography (3D data) since your question regards surfacing. Also, I'm curious how well Draftman works for future projects coming in the door such as true type engraving.