Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

one way pocketing

I need to pocket a profile using one way roughing and select and angle to rough at. I don't have a problem with that, but what I do have a problem with is getting it to only machine in that direction. It seems to add a feww little lines in at certain parts of these letters I am machining. Is there any way to force it to only machine at that angle and not try to clean out certain parts? Also when it does the roughing it is leaving half the tool diameter distance between the toolpath and the profile. This isn't a major problem and I can deal with this, but the other thing is. I causes our software to tool our machine with to reverse a few contour because of those little lines. Our machine doesnt use G-code, we just tool in mastercam and save the toolpath as geometry. This reversing is leaving visual marks in the mold, which aren't acceptable. I know I should have titled this message "One way pocketing, The Novel" since its so long, but I just got carried away. I hope you have made it through the whole message. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Hi 4444

Let me try and break it up a little;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

It seems to add a few little lines in at certain parts of these letters I am machining. (((Are the little lines an entry into the last cut to avoid plunging into the stock?)))

Is there any way to force it to only machine at that angle and not try to clean out certain parts?(((( If you use contour you may have more control)))

Also when it does the roughing it is leaving half the tool diameter(((This may be how much stock you are leavening plus how big are your finish passes added together?)))

It causes our software to tool our machine with to reverse a few contour because of those little lines. (((Are you taking too big of a step for the cutter?))))

Our machine doesn't use G-code, we just tool in mastercam and save the toolpath as geometry.?

(((( If you use contour you may have more control,,, Can you just turn cutter comp to OFF ??))))

How could I use contour to rough out the pocket? Basically, we parrallel spiral rough the pocket, then run a one way finish to leave the part looking clean. Customer does not like the spiral finish marks. This is engraving on a tire mold. We want the toolpath finishing to go from inside to outside. If a contour reverses from try to connect to those little lines, then it may run from outside to in leaving a visual tool mark difference.