Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

PART VERIFICATION WITH CNC

MATT Q

HAS ANYBODY USED A PRESSURE SESOR PROBE IN A CNC TO CHECK PARTS AGAINST A CAD MODEL AND FIGURED A WAY OF SHOWING INSPECTION DATA FOR AN ISIR REPORT. TRYING TO FIGURE A WAY OF GETTING RID OF INSPECTION GAGES BY USING THE MACHINE TO CHECK PARTS. WITH DOCUMNETATION TO PROVE IT. ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREAT. smile.gifsmile.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

I dont recomend inspecting parts on the same machine that made them...

I'm going to have to vehemently disagree with this statement. I do recommend this, ONLY after them machine has volumetric error compensated, after which, the machine can inspect to or near CMM tolerances. Typically you don't measure every feature. You pick the critical features, inspect those and generate reports.

JM2C

quote:

possibly have a machine dedicated for this function

I don't know if this is a really big part or what but I would think that after you factor in the cost of the probing hardware, software, installation, debugging, etc, along with the loss of a pretty good machine (it would have to be a pretty solid machine to accurately measure) it would be cheaper to just go the CMM route.

We have a Renishaw setup on one of our machining centers that does some work offset adjustment in the machining of castings and some in-process measurement during machining of certain parts but the machine itself is not accurate enough for me to really believe the numbers on fussy stuff. I know that James, Andrew McRae, and some other guys are definitely doing this type of stuff, but they have some pretty high-line equipment to back it up...

C

quote:

What we are trying to do is get rid of a fixture which is the inspection gage and possibly have a machine dedicated for this function we just have to sell management on it which as you all know is easier said then done.

A little foggy here but - If you are getting another machine - then get a CMM to do this. If however you want to use the current machine and do inprocess inspections (and even go to the extent of having the probe update tool offsets... then yes indeed we can do this!)

Mastercam is not required for this. If you intend to do 3D profiles - Think Normal (perpendicular to point of measurement) We can assist with your application - we make dreams come true everyday! Just watch out for the nightmares...