Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe Finish Stock

GHowe

When I rough turn a part I want to leave .01 stk. on faces and .01 per side on dia. I already have the settings for this but it will not leave a constaint .01 on the dia. Never less but some places a lot more. Also the roughing pass will not be exactly what I ask for depth, like .100 or .150 per side. Yes I did turn off equally. Would like toknow what I'm doing wrong. Thanks Gary

We have noticed strange behavior in lathe roughing ourselves from time to time. I certainly don't have all the answers but I'll share some things that we've learned:

1) Tool definition is very important, especially plunge parameters if you are trying to rough parts that have a "reverse" taper or shallow grooves. If you have the tool incorrectly defined Mastercam will generally ignore these areas altogether, giving wierd stock-on conditions

2) If you select "overlap", even if the amount is set to zero, you'll often get different results than if it is unchecked; sometimes radically different

3) Lead-in / Lead-out settings often effect things that you wouldn't think should be effected; so do any added lines that you put into your chain

4) If you are using stock for your outer boundary the results you can can be much different than if you don't; even if your chain would extend to the stock.

We are currently starting our formal training with our reseller and hopefully can get to the bottom of some of these probs, but for right now we just play with it until we get what we like.

If you can put your file on the FTP we can take a look at it and try to help you; I'm going home soon but we can check it out in the AM

C

[ 03-05-2003, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: chris m ]

Gary,

There are a number of settings that can cause you trouble if not set correctly. If you have an example that is not working for you, are you able to put it on the ftp site? That way we can have a look and try to find the problem.

Are you defining the stock material in job set-up? Do you have the "semi finish" box turned on and if so is "stock to leave" amount different here compaired to the "stock to leave" amount on the rough parameters page?

Phil