Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

engrave on plaxi

NEW2007

Hi,guys:

There is an Komo router in our shop. This router machines tons of plexi everyday.I had no experience on plaxi before i came here one year ago.Luckly i sovled most problems ,there are some still left.Hope get some instructions.My questions are:

1.Run small size round pockets on acrylics,abs,or styrene.It's very difficulty to get an clean and nice bottom.What kind of tool could solve it,no sticky and nice bottom?

2.Want do some engrave job on Plaxi,the feature size about 3"x2" ,1/32" depth.any suggestion?

Thanks

Eric P

Thanks Michael and John.

You means spraying some light oil mannualy.After finishing the parts,how long it takes to clean them?

It's easy or difficuty? I only can try some single part.If we run hundreds of part no time to spend on cleaning.

Thanks again

Eric p

Light oil of most any sort will work. I would use a Upcut Spiral O Flute possibly a straight O Flute. If it is getting sticky and kind of gummy I would slow down the RPM or pick up the feed rate some. Sounds like it is gumming up a little from heat.

You can get a magnetic mister that sticks to the side of the spindle which you can use to automatically mist the tool and surface with coolant/cutting fluid or you can just use a spray bottle to do it manually. Usually doesn't take much more than a minute to wipe it clean when you are done with a lint free towel or cloth.

Komo's have air blast and for a fee you can have that converted to or add on a coolant mister that can be enabled automatically in your program just like the air blast. M08 I think is the code. Then you can write it into the program to turn on/off as needed just as you do the air blast. If you will be doing a lot of this type of work I would think the cost would be easy to justify.

Good points,Michael.

If cutting through the plexi,holes for example,O Flute works good.On pocket the O flute cannot give you a flat bottom.

There is always a bump on centre because of no cutting edge on centre, and i can't add the overlap to clean it. 1/2"pocket cut by 3/8"bit to save machine time.I try to find some new bits for plexi with full flat end (tips).So far haven't get it.

I appreciate any recommendation.

Thanks for your reply.

Eric P