Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Looking for a good type of Wood mill with

MIKE POPMA

I recently I got mastercam art and have started making art models in aluminum. I would like to start doing some models out of wood and was hoping for some suggestions on a good type of wood headscratch.gif ? I've tried oak and some other type, but I get poor stringy finishes and my edges always chip banghead.gif . I'd like to achieve a fine detail to my work and nice crisp edges.

Thanks.

Mdf may be a decent alternative to get started if your just testing art and finish. Pecan is a dense would that carves to nice detail. Hard maple isn't bad. There is also several South Americam species that lend themselves to carving Jadaba is very dense but carves beautiflly. Needs good carbide tools tho, no highspeed steel, will dull too quickly. There are also several high density foams that work well for this type of application.

Walnut works pretty well, Maple too. Carbide tools are pretty much required.

IF you are using these on a mill that you use to make parts using coolant the make SURE you VACUUM all the dust and chips off the machine. Otherwise, you will cycle the woodchips and dust into the coolant, where is may swell up and restrict flow where it wedges in check valves, etc. (I used to be a machine service engineer in a former life and ran into this on a regular basis).

• 9 months later...

Walnut works pretty well, Maple too. Carbide tools are pretty much required.

IF you are using these on a mill that you use to make parts using coolant the make SURE you VACUUM all the dust and chips off the machine. Otherwise, you will cycle the woodchips and dust into the coolant, where is may swell up and restrict flow where it wedges in check valves, etc. (I used to be a machine service engineer in a former life and ran into this on a regular basis).

+1

leaving little piles of wood dust/chips can draw in considerable moisture and rust everything.

Get all the wood off the machine when finished.

I run a CNC router and lathe in our stairparts shop. We do about 20 diff. species a week, but some of the best for my "play" things is soft maple. It has little to no "wood grain", machines easier than hard maple, and stains MUCH easier. Also, Jatoba, or brazillian cherry as it's also known, is another really good carving wood. If you want, i could send you some diff. types to play around with. email me @ johnoly99@gmail_____._____com