Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CNC (used or new) for Under $8000?

Leehound

I have a friend that makes pistal grips by hand, mostly using exotic materials (ivory, stag, ect.) I have made quite a few aluminum grips for him and have made some using the exotic materials.

He has a two axis Sherline and wants to move up to something better and do the CNC stuff himself. Unfortunatley the top of his budget is $8000. He wants help in choosing a CNC new or used. The machine really would not need a lot of travel maybe 16" x 12", but it would need to be full 3 axis and be compatable with Mastercam. I would like to see him get an Industrial sized machine, but I dont think that $8000 is enough for a decent used machine. That leaves the Hobbiest type Cnc's.

Anybody have experience with a decent CNC (used or new) that would fit his budget?

His website: http://spresserknifeworks.itgo.com/

Thanks

Leehound

You are going to have to look at the auction flyers for that kind of money, I think. My buddy bought a 3-axis TRAK kneemill at auction a few years ago for around $5K. You might be able to find a MiniMill or something like that on EBay or one of the big used houses (Machinery Values, somebody like that) for $10K, don't know

The trouble with anything industrial size is the cost of moving it! Unless its right next door it can cost 10 grand just to move it! The last shop i worked in bout 2 used hurco machines for 5 grand each but it cost us 8 grand to move them just across town!

and dont forget about having the electrician come to hook it up! Have you looked at the do it yourself cnc websites? Im sure just for making 1911 grips you wouldnt need a huge rigid machine! Contact your local machine reps. They are in and out of shops all the time, they might know of a shop that just has one sitting collecting dust???? GOOD LUCK!B)

I've used a tormach and for the money it was quite good. Would definitely go that route if I was getting something for home,

Don't know how they hold up over time / heavy use, but they feel well made.

An old fadal makes me a bit more nervous, but is a little more 'serious'. If he's just making pistol grips the tormach should get him going till he needs something more