Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Waterline Scallop

tala

So... Perfect world.

Waterline Scallop. Bottom to top

On surfaces which transition from 90 degrees to zero.

I've tried sooooooooo many combinations...

Any suggestions?

Tala Brandeis

MCX5

Good Graphics Computers

20 years plus Manufacturing

MCam from V8, post development

Geopath (and Trigger 4)

Cadkey, Autocad, Solidworks

Waterline and SF Contour function in the same manner and do not perform well on shallow or flat surfaces. Perhaps try Surface finish Blend, 3d with the tool path set to spiral (as opposed to one way or zigzag). 2 chains required, the shape of the blend chains will influence the cutter path and the tool only cuts to the center of the chain so a chain offset by half the cutter may be required. A chain and a point works well. The chain you select first and the selection point will govern your start location for the tool path. I usually project the chaining geometry to a plane to simplify manipulation if required. If you need more help, upload/attach the file. Save the part as a version 10 and more peeps will help. Sounds like your trying to morph between two curves. The 5 axis gurus in here may be able to get better results, even with a 3 axis machine.

Like Motor says, waterline works best on walls, not so good on shallow or bottom surfaces. The HST have many other options that would prolly work better for near vertical surfaces. Does this have to go bottom to top or will top to bottom work? Kind of shape: internal/external/spherical/freeflow,non-iniform?

If you are using X5, the HST hybrid toolpath is "supposed" to give to exactly what you are looking for. I don't have a lot of experience with this toolpath just yet, but the couple of times I tried it, it did not even come close to an acceptable toolpath.

The easiest method is to generate a waterline toolpath from 20 to 90 degrees of slope and then follow it up with a raster or scallop with a slope and setting of between 0 and 25 degrees, if that is your criteria. Personally, I use waterline for 30 to 90 and then raster from 0 to 35 degrees.

Carmen

The easiest method is to generate a waterline toolpath from 20 to 90 degrees

of slope and then follow it up with a raster or scallop with a slope and

setting of between 0 and 25 degrees, if that is your criteria. Personally,

I use waterline for 30 to 90 and then raster from 0 to 35 degrees.

Carmen

Hey Carmen,

Thanks for the reply... Seems as if very few things that work change in

any significant way. Again... Thanks.

Tala