Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Post err message, but output seems ok.

Jon @ NOWHERE

Here is the problem:

Program posted out fine the other day with no error messages, programmer added a new toolpath and tried to repost program and got error messages. We went back through posting each toolpath separately until we found out which toolpaths were giving the errors. It turns out that it is two toolpaths that were posting fine the day before. Reading the error messages it kind of seems like there is a toolpath that is trying to post out a 4th-axis move or something of that nature, but this is a 3-axis machine definition, is this a bug in x5 where there may be a file on the programmer's c: drive that is causing this problem? It also appears that the output is correct, but the error messages are making us wonder otherwise. Here are the error messages we are getting.

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <0> - Report created.

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - Initialize posting log file

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - Using MP run version 14.00 and post components version 14.00

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - Initiate opening the post processor file(s).

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - I:\SOFTWARE\MASTERCAM\LHT_CNC_MACHINES\X5 MACHINES\FADAL 3 AXIS.PST

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - The post processor file has been successfully opened.

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - Post version information (input):

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - UPDATEPOST Version 14. was used to modify this file.

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - The file was modified by this product on 07 Jan 11 08:34:22

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - The post was written to run with Mastercam Version 14.

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - The post product type is Mill.

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - Initialization of pre-defined post variables, strings, postblocks was successful.

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - Search for defined post variables, strings, postblocks was successful.

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'dec_seq_right$' was re-initialized from 3. to 0.

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'arcoutput$' was re-initialized from 1. to 0.

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'arcoutputxz$' was re-initialized from 1. to 0.

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'arcoutputyz$' was re-initialized from 1. to 0.

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'larcoutput$' was re-initialized from 1. to 0.

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'larctypexz$' was re-initialized from 1. to 0.

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'larcoutputyz$' was re-initialized from 1. to 0.

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'arccheck$' was re-initialized from 1. to 111.

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'larccheck$' was re-initialized from 1. to 111.

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'rotfeed4$' was re-initialized from 2. to 1.

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'rotfeed5$' was re-initialized from 3. to 1.

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'lrotfeed4$' was re-initialized from 2. to 1.

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'lrotfeed5$' was re-initialized from 0. to 1.

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'sub_level$' was re-initialized from 1. to 0.

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - CONTROL DEFINITION - Post variable 'peckacel$' was re-initialized from 0. to 1.

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - RUN TIME - Data being read is longer than buffer record size. Buffer number: 2

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - RUN TIME - Data being read is longer than buffer record size. Buffer number: 2

22 Mar 2011 08:20:27 AM - <2> - Successful completion of posting process!

I'm not sure. This may or may not be what that error is describing.

from the post:

#Buffer 2, String buffer used to open NC file and add line numbers after processing complete

wc2 : 1 #Initial count for write buffer 2

rc2 : 1 #Initial count for read buffer 2

size2 : 0 #Buffer 2 size

sncline : "" #Buffer 2

fbuf 2 0 80 1 1 #Buffer 2

You can try setting parameter #2 (the zero) to 1, to keep a file of the buffer output.

Then you can look into the file to see what is happening.

I think it is probably parameter #3 (80) that is limiting your number of reals in each record.

Look at the keep file to see if things are truncated or where the last line that it bombs at.

From a buffer help file:

*Parameters for ‘fbuf’ (for an ‘X’ post) -> fbuf 5 1 3 0 0

……..1 2 3 4 5

Parameter 1 = Buffer number ( 1 thru 10 )

Parameter 2 = Keep flag, set flag to 1 to keep file or 0 to discard file when posting is completed. Saved files are saved under the name of the NC file with the extension of .TX1 through .TX0.

Parameter 3 = Number of reals in each record. (ie. number of variables listed per line )

Parameter 4 = Initialize flag, set to 1 to initialize (open an existing file) or 0 (do not open an existing file).

Parameter 5 = Buffer type (0=numeric, 1=string)

Param # 3 being 80 tells it that this will be a string buffer.... search in the post for "size2"

3. The number of real numbers per record or 80 to define a string buffer, which is the

maximum string size. Any number other than 80 will indicate the number of values in

a real number buffer.

size2 = rbuf (2,0) #Get the number of NC lines in the NC file and set in size2

while rc2 <= size2, #While loop to read entire NC file as a buffer one line at a time

That is what is in the post for size2. It is in the ppost$ Post process Postblock. Setting the fbuf2 parameter 2 to 1 to produce a keep file, did not make a keep file or at least we are unable to find it, currently searching the hard drive for it now.

When you increase the buffer space per record, you are increasing the memory set aside for that value x # of records.

Basically you set aside 2K per record.

I would try a number of say 100 to see if you get any better results

With keep param 1, you should get a file with the same name as your program, but the .tx2 (for buffer 2) extension. It should be where you post to.

seeing that file should really help.

That is what aggravates me zoob, the engineer who messed with this stuff is no longer here and taking this stuff to our reseller is similar to pulling teeth, there have been a lot of people with their hand in the cookie jar that something may have been changed that is preventing that file from being created. I wish In-house would make a book on post processors much like their Mastercam courseware. I would definitely jump on that book.

Posting this to make sure I have this set correctly, is there anywhere else that I may need to make a change to get that keep file?

#Buffer 2, String buffer used to open NC file and add line numbers after processing complete

wc2 : 1 #Initial count for write buffer 2

rc2 : 1 #Initial count for read buffer 2

size2 : 0 #Buffer 2 size

sncline : "" #Buffer 2

fbuf 2 1 80 1 1 #Buffer 2

I'm still reading that file Keith, and no I haven't posted on the post development forum.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

...I wish In-house would make a book on post processors much like their Mastercam courseware. I would definitely jump on that book.

I'd jump on that book like a bum on a baloney sammich!

The maximum size for buffer records has changed since V9. In V9 (and earlier) a value of 80 in the 3rd parameter of the fbuf line defined the buffer as a string buffer. In X we added the 5th parameter to define the buffer type and increased the max value of the 3rd parameter to 256. In X4 MU1 we were able to increase the max value to 380. So, I would recommend changing the value to 380.

i.e.

fbuf 2 0 380 1 1 #Buffer 2

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Zoob,

ModelDescriptionList PriceSale PriceMasterCam 978-1-926566-21-4Mastercam Mpmaster Quick Reference Guide - Discontinued - no replacement

Surely you don't mean that one...

You mean this book?

You could also try contacting your local reseller and ask for the "Mpmaster Quick Reference Guide, (Fundamental post processor customization techniques for 3 to 4 axis mill)" published by In-House Solutions.

It's a 170+ page reference book that uses mpmaster for its examples.

The only problem with that is local reseller. I have no major issue with them, although I did ask about a post class nearly a year ago and it seemed like they were a little hurt about me wanting to learn to edit our posts. I wish to learn this stuff, and would really like to travel to Connecticut for the basic post class offered by CNC but I am usually too busy when those classes are available. So having a book to go through that explained things would really help me a lot.

ModelDescriptionList PriceSale PriceMasterCam 978-1-926566-21-4Mastercam Mpmaster Quick Reference Guide - Discontinued - no replacement

Surely you don't mean that one...

Yes James. Although I don't have it, I was just going by a posting by Webby on March 3 '11.

I would think it would still be available less than a month later.

My bad, LOL