Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rotary 4 Axis Toolpath in V9

shook2009

I'm having some trouble with a toolpath. This is a sample test path, I have plans for a much more complicated project using a spiral cut later.

Basically, The result I want is to generate G-code for a horizontal mill with a rotary table that sends a ball endmill to a Z depth and rotates the Y axis 360 degrees and retracts.

I created a 6" circle on the ZX plane, center is the orgin. I created a .5" radius surface and 2 check surfaces. (It looks like a bicycle rim).

I'm having trouble with tool control and posted code. The tool goes around the part in backplot, however, it does not approach in the Z axis and the G code generated in the post is not what I described earlier.

My tool parameters: Home position (X0, Y0, Z+10.) Reference point Approach and Retract (X0, Y0, Z+6.) Work, Construction, and Tool planes are all set for Top.

(I've done some 4 axis positional programming and with the work plane set as Top and the tool and construction planes set for front, side, etc.)

My Multi axis parameters: Clearance 5.0 Incremental, Retract 2.0 Inc, Feed plane .5 Inc, 4th Axis is the Y axis, compensation type is Off.

Rotary Ax Parameters: (Rotary cut on) (Cut tolerance .001)Direction of closed contours is "Climb", direction of open contours "One Way", Axis dampening Length .1, Lead/Lag angle 0, Max step .1, Tool vector Length 1.0, (Cut depths, gap setting and Advanced settings are at default)

Am I using the correct toolpath? Are my planes set correct? Are my settings correct? Did I create the Surfaces and arcs on the correct plane?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,

Bill