Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe rest rough

K2csq7

Got a chunk of material I need to chip away at. I used offset contour to create all the red lines/arcs, I am wondering if there is a better way to "chip" away at this (other than just offsetting the contour). Kinda new to lathe so bear with me.

TIA.

Steve, That is basically what I was doing, but I needed to contour each path separately because the lead in/out issues I described above. But I really don't like that tool motion for this dinky little hockey stick insert I need to use (this is age hardened waspaloy)

Here is what I did, many thanks to Jeremy @ ADEX who showed me this trick back in January.

I used a high speed dynamic core mill toolpath to "draw" the stepovers for me, saved backplot geo, deleted rapid moves between passes, and then used that to drive my lathe finish with comp set to off.

Still open to new ideas, so please keep em comin!!!!

I'm at home now, so I can't test my theory at work, but wouldn't the lead in/out be adjusted for each pass? For example, if one sets their lead in/out at .005 for a given toolpath, doesn't that value stick for however many passes you want to make? Basically what I'm saying is adjust the lead in/out so that the first pass - where the tool has the greatest chance for crashy - clears, and you would be golden. That value would stay the same for each of those 12 passes. Again, I'm not at work so I can't test my theory, and I hope what I said makes sense.

If you used a dummy (ghosted) toolpath to get the stock of the part and then use stock recognition for you roughing toolpath, you would get the lead in/out right. Then change the machining angle of that toolpath if you want it to look like in your example. This is just an suggestion, I dont know if I understood your problem right.