Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

High Feed Machining on Older Fadal?

We have got a '97 4020A that I am planning a part to run on it that will be a large stainless plate that will machine out some deep pockets with islands, and remove over 50% by weight of the material so I am looking into cutting this with a high feed tool such as Sandvik 210 cutter. The machine is fairly new to us but seems pretty solid on X and Y but the Z axis screw had a lot of play and will soon be replaced. According to the paperwork the max cutting feedrate is 250ipm 375ipm with feedrate over ride set to 150%. I am curious if anyone has ever had any luck with trying to sustain 200ipm+ for an hour or two on a machine like this or if the control 88HS can even process blocks fast enough? This will strictly be a roughing operation so if it overcuts a little it will not hurt anything but if it starts to cause machine/tool damage that is a problem.

I am going to try to run a kinematic test I was told about on it which envolves cutting a large circle then a square set at a lower level within that and then a diamond shape at a lower level with in that at a conservative feedrate, then blue the profile and adjust the tool diameter offset slightly and keep pushing the feedrate up until it starts to machine the bluing away and then it is over traveling.

Or is this just all a lost cause and this machine can't handle anything close to this?

If you have the 1400-3 or 1400-4 processor you can process 250 blocks per second.

With a G08 Fadals don't slow down. It will literally have no feed ramps. I've shown guys a X- to X+ move in a loop with G09 and G08. Every other machine I have been on has some sort of deceleration, but the Fadal just slams back and forth. They have all handled that just fine, so I'm sure you will be ok.

We have two older fadals and running a high feed cutter isn't the best idea in my opinion. I've found that running a button cutter at a little heavier depth of cut is alot better on the machine. You can typically be just as effective in removing material as a high feed. I've used the Sandvik 300 button cutter and it is okay. I think a Seco button cutter is a better choice. Depends too on what support you have in your area.

We have two older fadals and running a high feed cutter isn't the best idea in my opinion. I've found that running a button cutter at a little heavier depth of cut is alot better on the machine. You can typically be just as effective in removing material as a high feed. I've used the Sandvik 300 button cutter and it is okay. I think a Seco button cutter is a better choice. Depends too on what support you have in your area.

I will have to look into that option. Sandvik and Iscar are supported much better in my area than Seco is in my opinion.

I will have to look into that option. Sandvik and Iscar are supported much better in my area than Seco is in my opinion.

The only trouble I had with the Sandvik 300 button cutter was that there are facets on the backside of the insert and this creates a stress point. The insert always cracked there especially when feeding the cutter hard. Like .018 to .020 load per tooth.