Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rotating Views about user defined axis

Guyinthedesert

I have a part where I need to keller a floor, and to reach it I have my TC plane rotated up and around at a compound angle. Now I want to rotate my plane around the axis of the part (which is normal to the right view).

I used dynamic rotate to find a view where I had clearance for the cut, and made this my TC plane.

I know I've done this before, but I can't remember how.

I used dynamic rotate to find a view where I had clearance for the cut, and made this my TC plane.

Not sure if I understand what your trying to do but if your going to use dynamic rotate to put the gview into the postition you want for your new planes, once you get it there just hit the one in the pic below.

Not sure if I understand what your trying to do but if your going to use dynamic rotate to put the gview into the postition you want for your new planes, once you get it there just hit the one in the pic below.

Right. But I don't know what angles my view is rotated to. If I did, I could go back to my right side view, rotate that view in Z, then rotate about X and Y go get back to where I was. But without knowing those angles, I'm lost.

I went to view manager and got the matrix values for my view. I can use dynamic translate to rotate the matrix values around, but once again, it will make it straight, but not tell me what the angles were.

I tried using Dynamic planes. I looks like this is what I want. I can align the gnomon, then rotate around the Z axis at what angle I want. But when I save it and go to that view, it is always rotated straight with the XY axis,

no matter what options or settings I use.

I drew a dummy flat surface at my TC plane, and then rotated that surface around in Z on the right side plane to my other angles. I choose View by entity, and that worked creating the other views I needed.

(problem was, I translated a toolpath. It translated the geometry just fine, but all the cuts had the same TC plane,

so the first cut on the top of the part was fine, the cuts on the bottom of the part it tried to cut through to top of the part.)

I think the dynamic planes is what I want. I must have something set wrong.

If you want to move the actual part then I would use the dynamic Xform utility, you can associate the X,Y,Z with the part the same as the dynamic planes then have the Xform utility move the part to a specified origin & align to an X,Y,Z axis of the Mcam planes or a user defined plane. :mellow:

I've attached some screen shots to better illustrate what I'm trying to do.

I can't post the actual part I'm working on, so I drew up something to demonstrate.

In X1.jpg, Here is the part with one of the bosses rotated around normal. I'm going to run some 3 axis toolpaths on a 5 axis machine. Let's say, I'm just going to drill the one hole. (ten plcs)

So I have this rotated with the hole straight, and saved this as new view [8]

Now I want to rotate my view around the line going through the center of the part 36 deg to get to the next hole.

In reality, I could just put my toolpath in a subroutine, and just rotate C axis at 36 deg intervals. But for the purpose of verification and simulation, I would like it all done in the file. (The actual program is a lot more complicated than drilling a hole)

X2 shows dynamic plane with the gnomon set at orgin

X3 shows the rotation around X, just as I want. I almost feel like I'm on the right track.

This view is saved as new view [9]

x4 But, when I go to view [9], it's rotated back straight to the Top view. It does the same thing whether I have

the WCS set at Top or new view [8]

Any Ideas?

post-40969-0-48691900-1310755867_thumb.jpgpost-40969-0-92118300-1310755879_thumb.jpgpost-40969-0-68335100-1310755889_thumb.jpgpost-40969-0-22095200-1310755899_thumb.jpg