Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Parametric Programming in MC X5

Arrow

Hello,

I'm using Mastercam X5 and am trying to make a parametric program with variable X and Y parameters to put a door hinge pocket in the exact center of a workpiece while maintaining a constant distance from the edge of the workpiece. How can I set this up in Mastercam? I have approximately 17 different sizes that I need and don't want to have to reprogram each one. I am running a Biesse router. Thanks very much.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm using Mastercam X5 and am trying to make a parametric program with variable X and Y parameters to put a door hinge pocket in the exact center of a workpiece while maintaining a constant distance from the edge of the workpiece. How can I set this up in Mastercam? I have approximately 17 different sizes that I need and don't want to have to reprogram each one. I am running a Biesse router. Thanks very much.

If you've got Vb programming experience, you might want to start by looking at the 'Toolpath Door CHook.vbs' script in your MasterCam install.

Drive the thing from a spreadsheet and you're all set ... with a bit of work.

I've never done Vb programming - I guess I was hoping for a faster solution. I'm done the project I started the post for, but I do a lot of stuff like it where a customer wants a bunch of different door sizes, all with a custom hinge pocket or door handle cutout. Where could I get some more info on getting started with this? I'd rather not have to do a separate drawing for each individual part, as it is actually faster to sit down at the machine and manually create the program when there are multiple sizes - this seems kind of a shame when Mastercam is sitting upstairs in the cool office!

I've never done Vb programming - I guess I was hoping for a faster solution. I'm done the project I started the post for, but I do a lot of stuff like it where a customer wants a bunch of different door sizes, all with a custom hinge pocket or door handle cutout. Where could I get some more info on getting started with this? I'd rather not have to do a separate drawing for each individual part, as it is actually faster to sit down at the machine and manually create the program when there are multiple sizes - this seems kind of a shame when Mastercam is sitting upstairs in the cool office!

have you checked out ATP ? it seems best suited for router work.

I've looked at it briefly, but haven't experimented with it yet...definitely the classic "newbie". By the way, I looked through the help topics, and I think that I have figured out hwat you were driving at before. I've done up an Excel spreadsheet with different forumulas to get the result I need, then used the Door Chook to bring them into Mastercam and it worked - just have to figure out a method of making it chain them and post the individual G-Code too, if there is such a thing!

Can you give me any tips with ATP? Everything that I have looked up on it seems pretty complex and intimidating - kind of over my head, especially with almost nil experience yet. Thanks very much!

Hi Arrow,

If you want to be perform uses all the tools which you have.. You are running on a BIESSE router, if it is equipped with BIESSEWORKS, it's really easy to make parametric programm directly on a machine. Like that, you have the program relates parametric doors directly on the machine, and you use Mastercam for the more complicated programs.

I'm running the older NC1000 controls; our machine is a 2002. It's still not too bad to do parametric programming on, although I imagine that it is a little more cumbersome than the new BIESSEWORKS controls. Maybe I'm just looking too far for an easier solution...sometimes they end up just getting more complex!

what you are trying to do is so easy with Mastercam.

Create your master templet to your largest door. Use centerline dimensioning and 2-d geometry. Solids are not nessessary. Be sure to have the distance you want to hold coming from the table to accomidate different thicknesses of doors.

Create your master program off the 2-d geometry.

Now from the basline stop where your router rail will be, draw endpoints where the other door sizes in lengh would be. Do not worry about the different thicknesses they will all work out in the wash.

Using xform, move all door geometry from the next point to your rail and press the regen button. Repost and save to new name. Rinse and repeat.

prol take 10 min to repost 50 programs....