Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MasterCAM crashes accessing network files

mmkgreen2005

Hey there MasterCAM minions! Our company has a nice solid network that we store all of our .MCX and post files on and we have not had any issues with MasterCAM until this last Monday. When we are browsing the network, saving a file, posting, or just looking at the screen, MasterCAM will just either freeze or just simply go away with no notice, and without a pattern. Our IT guy is looking into a possible fragmentation issue and the only updates are windows updates. I have not installed anything on our 3 programming computers since upgrading to X5 MU1 a week after it came out.

Is anyone else having this issue recently?

Thanks,

Matt.

Windows XP Pro SP3

Xeon CPU 5130 2.0 GHz

3 gigs of ram

X5 MU1

Matt,

You are not alone; I had trouble here since X with network/server file access. Our solution was to keep the working files on the local machine using Mastercam and have a batch file backup every night to server (where they are backed up with everything else).

Since then we added a second seat with the network hasp so we needed to access across the network constantly. As an experiment we mapped a network drive from the new stations to the original workstation and accessed the files that way (instead of the server). I think we have had only one freeze/crash since setting up this way. The backup still happens as normal. The original workstation also manages the nethasp so it is on all the time anyway.

John

Mastercam X5

Everything that I do in MasterCam is on the network. All of my posts, machine definitions and cad files are kept and accessed by all programmers on the network. However, each computer used has MC installed on the C: drive and has it's own HASP. All of the config files are pointed at the network drive, and we have absolutely no problems with crashing.

Maybe if all of the data paths in the config file point to a local drive, it could cause a crash when working on the network?

BTW, running X5 MU1 on Win7 and XP SP3.

We have multiple software’s running from a network drive, so that the actual program is in the network drive. Mastercam is installed locally, but most files are accessed from the network.

When we got these new Intel I7 computers with Windows 7 to our office, they ware fast enough to freeze our server. The reason for this was that we had updated our network to gigabit speed, but the server had low speed busses on the mother board. So the Ethernet adapter, even though it was a gigabit card, could not keep up. This would crash software running from network, we had problem when saving larger files, etc.

We then got a Buffalo terastation III and made it our dataserver. This made all programs run faster and the problem was solved. It supports Active Directory, so it works like if the drives would be on the server. Other solution would have been to update the server, but this would cost multiple times more than the terastation.