Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fadal post has rigid tap errors (X5)

BTA

Hello this is my first post on Emastercam. We are using X5 and using the format 2 Fadal post. We found a flaw in the post in the rigid tapping lines it spits out. For our machines we cannot have an X or Y in the G84 G99 Z-XXX RXXX SXXX FXXX. We also found the S is missing and we would like to use G84.1. Where do we change the post info? How do we change it?

BTA,

Are you using the Generic Fadal Format 2 Post that ships with Mastercam? If so, don't use the regular Tap cycle, use the Rigid Tap cycle (look farther down in the drop-down menu). This will automatically kick out the G84.1 code.

The Spindle Speed for the G84.1 cycle is output before the first position line. The code should look something like this:

S2000 M03
X1.453 Y8.99
G84.1 G99 Zxx Rxx Sxxx Fxxx

To remove the X and Y positions from the G84.1 cycle, do the following:

(BACK UP YOUR POST FIRST!!)

Find the 'pmisc2$' Post Block. Remove the 'pfxout, ' and 'pfyout, ' parameters from the output line. Here is before and after:

Before:

pmisc2$          #Canned Misc #2 Cycle - G84.1/G74.1
     pdrlcommonb
     feed = (1 / n_tap_thds$) * speed
     pbld, n$, *sgdrill, *sgdrlref, pfxout, pfyout, pfzout, pcout,
       prdrlout, *tap_speed, *feed, e$
     pcom_movea

After:

pdrlcommonb
     pbld, n$, *sgdrill, *sgdrlref, pfzout, pcout,
     pcom_movea

Please note that our Fadal Format 2 Post is setup to output the Spindle Speed for Rigid Tapping as 'Sxxxx.2' (it adds a .2 after the speed). You'll need to check and see if this is correct for your version of software on the machine's control. (That is the normal format for Rigid Tapping on a Format 2 Fadal.)

• Like 1

BTA,

Are you using the Generic Fadal Format 2 Post that ships with Mastercam? If so, don't use the regular Tap cycle, use the Rigid Tap cycle (look farther down in the drop-down menu). This will automatically kick out the G84.1 code.

The Spindle Speed for the G84.1 cycle is output before the first position line. The code should look something like this:

S2000 M03
X1.453 Y8.99
G84.1 G99 Zxx Rxx Sxxx Fxxx

To remove the X and Y positions from the G84.1 cycle, do the following:

(BACK UP YOUR POST FIRST!!)

Find the 'pmisc2$' Post Block. Remove the 'pfxout, ' and 'pfyout, ' parameters from the output line. Here is before and after:

Before:

pdrlcommonb
     pbld, n$, *sgdrill, *sgdrlref, pfxout, pfyout, pfzout, pcout,
     pcom_movea

After:

pdrlcommonb
     pcom_movea

Please note that our Fadal Format 2 Post is setup to output the Spindle Speed for Rigid Tapping as 'Sxxxx.2' (it adds a .2 after the speed). You'll need to check and see if this is correct for your version of software on the machine's control. (That is the normal format for Rigid Tapping on a Format 2 Fadal.)

I have never modified a post. How do I get into it? Open in a reader or ?

The PST file is a text file that is written in our post language. It is human-readable though.

I would recommend opening the file with the Mastercam X Editor. (File > Edit/Open External). Browse to your post location (\shared mcamx5\Mill\Posts) and select your Post Processor. (after having made a backup).

Search for the text (Ctrl+F) 'pmisc2$'. That should take you right to the Rigid Tapping Post Block (pmisc2$). Here you can make the modification by deleting the 'pfxout, ' and 'pfyout, ' parameters.

Save the Post file, then re-post your Operations to see the changes you've made.

I have no file that says "posts". I tried to find it 3 different ways and it is not there anywhere on my drive on both pcs at work. I dont know where in the world it could have gone but I still use the default Fadal post.

In X5, your Post files are stored in different locations, depending on if you are running Windows 7 or XP.

For Windows 7, the location is

C:\Users\Public\Documents\shared mcamx5\Mill\Posts

For XP,

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\shared mcamx5\Mill\Posts

Inside this "Posts" folder should be your Post file, 'Generic Fadal Format_2 4X Mill.pst'

This is the file you need to open. It *may* be located somewhere else on your system, but it is normally located in the shared folders I listed above.

If you still can't find it, you can always search for '*.pst'. You can also open the Machine Definition Manager, then open the Control Definition Manager, and click the Post Processor button. This will show you the file path of where your post is located.

HTH,

Wouldn't removing pfxout, pfyout not place the points for the first hole ? I think it should be more like this Colin

pdrlcommonb 
     pfxout, pfyout, e$
     pcom_movea

I will make the mod on our post and post again, our Fadals also need a G84.2 to prepare for Rigid taping before the G84.1. Does your need this also BTA ?

Greyman,

That depends on your machine parameters. If you look at the code that is being output, the X and Y positions are already being output before the G84.1 line. This is from the call to 'pdrlcommonb'. Placing 'pfxout' and 'pfyout' on a separate line might just drill the first hole twice. It really depends on the control.

If you need the G84.2 before the G84.1, isnt that Format 1? Maybe not, I'm not in front of a computer. I'll check tomorrow.

Also, I should probably add this for both of you, just in case.

There are two tapping cycles setup for our Generic Fadal Posts. The "normal" tapping routine (meant in most cases to use a floating style tap holder), and "rigid" tapping (designed to synchronize the spindle rotation and linear axis together so you can use a solid holder).

The regular Tap cycle should just output your Tap code (G84, or G84.1, or G84.2), hole position (x,y), speed, feed, return point, all on the same line. This cycle calls 'ptap$' for the first drill position (based on geometry), then calls 'ptap_2$' for all additional points in the cycle.

The Rigid tap cycle should output the rigid tap code and spindle speed "M29 S1000", then it outputs the Tap code (G84.x) and position on a separate line. This cycle calls 'pmisc2$' for the first hole, then 'pmisc2_2$' for all additional points.

I just wanted to point this out in case anyone else might be following along and doesn't know there are two different tap cycles available.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello this is my first post on Emastercam. We are using X5 and using the format 2 Fadal post. We found a flaw in the post in the rigid tapping lines it spits out. For our machines we cannot have an X or Y in the G84 G99 Z-XXX RXXX SXXX FXXX. We also found the S is missing and we would like to use G84.1. Where do we change the post info? How do we change it?

Select the format 1 the control Fadal.