Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Metal Forming Process Application

Nelson D'Souza

Hello :) ,

Has any one come across CNC Metal Forming Process Application and use Mastercam programming for metal forming application?

1. Basically this is Spinning Machine similar like VTL machine.

2. The tool (spinning wheel)is mounted on the bottom (X axis), and the Job is held in the chuck moves up and down (Z movements).

3. The Machine controller is Siemens.

4. In spinning process, the diameter of the job decreases proportionately the length of the job increase. Accordingly the tool path should change the length and diameter until rough profile form.

5. The diameter and the thickness will decrease, and the length profile will increase. The relation between L/D ratio and the Thickness will give the length of the profile extended.

6. The lead in and lead out in rouging will also Important to form the desired profile.

7. If length of the tool travel decreases, it will form flange on the front end.

8. If length of tool travel increased, it will form curl at the front end.

9. So the diameter to length ratio accurately calculated and program should be generated.

At present this machine controlled by making Manual programming by trial and error method. However if the user has to program it Mastercam and transfer the NC program to the controller and would like to know if Mastercam Lathe application be supported for this kind of spinning application.

I’ll appreciate you guys if any body can help me and guide to use Mastercam for this application.

It would definitely take some trial & error experimentation but I think if you defined a custom tool profile and used a lathe finish toolpath to define the profile it might get you started. I did some manual spinning in school but haven't tried CNC.