Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Ballbar tests

Since I am now a "short timer" at my current job I am doing a bunch of training....one of them being teaching how to use a Renishaw QC-10 Ballbar. We did several machines today...tuning things like backlash getting most of them good to within .0005 roundness at 50IPM on a 100MM circle. Alot of these machines are going on 20 years old...pretty impressive what tuning can do. I thought our MAM was amazingly close at .0003...till I put it on the machines with Siemens controllers. (An ES800V, V-Plus 800, V-Max800 3ax & V-Max800 5ax) The ES800 was at .0002 @ 50 IPM, and only .0003 at 200 IPM. The V-Plus was even better, running at .00015 at 50IPM. The V-Max's are just plain sick...@ .0001 going 200IPM. Even more impressive is that the V-Max 5ax has somewhere between 4000-5000 cutting hours on it. (The MAM has about the same) Couple that many machine hours and then throw in the fact that it runs off on encoders (the MAM has the advantage of having scales)....just plain impressive. Too bad Matsuura decided to quit making them.

It does make me want to try a MAM with a 840Di tho....they are out there.

Since I am now a "short timer" at my current job I am doing a bunch of training....one of them being teaching how to use a Renishaw QC-10 Ballbar. We did several machines today...tuning things like backlash getting most of them good to within .0005 roundness at 50IPM on a 100MM circle. Alot of these machines are going on 20 years old...pretty impressive what tuning can do. I thought our MAM was amazingly close at .0003...till I put it on the machines with Siemens controllers. (An ES800V, V-Plus 800, V-Max800 3ax & V-Max800 5ax) The ES800 was at .0002 @ 50 IPM, and only .0003 at 200 IPM. The V-Plus was even better, running at .00015 at 50IPM. The V-Max's are just plain sick...@ .0001 going 200IPM. Even more impressive is that the V-Max 5ax has somewhere between 4000-5000 cutting hours on it. (The MAM has about the same) Couple that many machine hours and then throw in the fact that it runs off on encoders (the MAM has the advantage of having scales)....just plain impressive. Too bad Matsuura decided to quit making them.

It does make me want to try a MAM with a 840Di tho....they are out there.

What can you get out of an i80 or J300? Surely you have a couple somewhere B)

What is a short timer?

What can you get out of an i80 or J300? Surely you have a couple somewhere B)

What is a short timer?

Short timer.... gonna leave soon

http://www.emastercam.com/board/index.php?showtopic=64448

On the i-80's & J-300's....Great controlls and very "tuneable".....tho you can really see the difference between builders now that they have been around for 10+ years. We have a Mori MV-40 with an I-80 & with a bit of tuning we got it to run just over .0005 roundness on a 4" radius (the machine stared out being .0008 out of round). A matsurra MC-600 with the same controller showed just under .0004 with no adjustments.Both machines have been "rode hard and put away wet". I know for a fact that matsuura uses a higher grade ballscrew than most mfg's (including mori) and while you might not notice any difference when new.....this 10 year test really starts to tell a story.

(on grades of ballscrews...think of them like a surface plate. you have grade AA, grade A, Grade B, ect.)